The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Keeping Horses on a Small Amount of Land (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/keeping-horses-small-amount-land-139876/)

ShannonSevenfold 10-07-2012 07:32 PM

Keeping Horses on a Small Amount of Land

I wasn't sure where else to put this, so I'll just put it here.

My boyfriend and I are looking at buying a house. It sits on approximately 1.5 acres of land and has a pretty large run-in type barn that looks like it was used for cattle. I own one horse, and would love to have him at home if possible. Is it possible to successfully keep a horse happy on such a small peice of land? Obviously he would need more hay as he would have access to less grass. We would also get him a buddy of some kind. Probably a mini for my son.

ETA: I board him right now, so he can stay at the barn if we can't make it work with him home.

kassierae 10-07-2012 08:16 PM

It is highly possible. We have 2.25 acres, about 2/3 is fenced in three separate paddocks/pastures. We have 5 horses, a haflinger, a Shetland and 6 minis. Granted, two of the horses are for sale and one is eaving soon(she's my aunts and she bought her own property) so that's three less(all are fairly large), but still. Everybody is quite happy, even though it's mostly dry lot with some woods. They get hay and grain twice a day and everybody's happy. Granted, it's not ideal, however 3 of the minis were in a bad situation(one was over 100 lbs underweight), not getting fed. We are trying to buy the property next door though, it'll be another two acres. Also as soon as my bf and I buy our own property in the next few years my four(three on the property, one at a boarding barn) will be brought home.

Again, while it's not ideal, it's doable.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShannonSevenfold 10-07-2012 08:30 PM

picture didn't work. lame.

alexis rose 10-07-2012 09:10 PM

I only have about an acre for 3 horses. I have their pasture separated and rotate them for cleaning and letting the grass grow. They also get hay and feed twice a day. It isn't the biggest place but they are safe and have a barn and clean water and lots of attention. They seem pretty happy! I love having them home!

caseymyhorserocks 10-07-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kassierae (Post 1710311)
It is highly possible. We have 2.25 acres, about 2/3 is fenced in three separate paddocks/pastures. We have 5 horses, a haflinger, a Shetland and 6 minis.
Again, while it's not ideal, it's doable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Whats the zoning requirements for your area?

OP- check zoning requirements for your area. 1.5 acres is normally legal for one horse, but two may be too much.

kassierae 10-07-2012 09:45 PM

It's farm land. We were grandfathered in when it all changed. Trust me, everything has been looked into. We've had anywhere from 3-13 horses on the property in the 16 years we've been there.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShannonSevenfold 10-07-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 1710402)
OP- check zoning requirements for your area. 1.5 acres is normally legal for one horse, but two may be too much.

I've already looked into it, and we would be able to keep one horse with some sort of small companion, but not 2 horses. I'm a little unsure as to whether a mini would count as another horse, so I've got to do a little more digging.

kiwi79 10-07-2012 11:36 PM

I am in the same boat, our property is 7 acres but only about 2.5 at the most is actual pasture. At this point its all one paddock and I use hot wire to split it up but will hopefully be able to afford fencing this summer to make 4 permanent paddocks. They wont be large paddocks but will make rotating them much easier and we have a small stable with 2 stalls to use at night over winter. I have one gelding and a mini for company and its been fine, I just brought plenty of hay over winter although hardly made a dent in it. I had 2 horses last winter and it was a bit of a struggle with mud and the grass not getting enough rest but for one and a half its fine :-) You just need to keep on top of your pasture maintenance, I muck out every day and do lots of weed spraying in spring.

bsms 10-08-2012 12:07 AM

I'm in Arizona. My horses live on hay. 3 horses, originally on one acre, now on two. In Pima County, the zoning allows 4 horses/acre (actually 1 horse per 10,000 sq ft of lot size). Keeping 3 horses like that does require them to be fed at least 2 times a day (3 is normal), and our garbage company accepts horse poop as trash - not all do. But we have 3 bins for 'trash', and about 2 are used up with horse poop.

The picture below is about 3 years old, maybe older:

http://vailbs.com/yahoo_site_admin/a...205056_std.JPG

ShannonSevenfold 10-08-2012 12:18 AM

I don't really understand the ordinances. Obviously they don't enforce them. Because every other property you see driving down the road there's like 5 horses on 1/2 an acre. And they don't do anything about it.