The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Full Seat Or Knee Patch Breeches? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/full-seat-knee-patch-breeches-139886/)

Almond Joy 10-07-2012 07:53 PM

Full Seat Or Knee Patch Breeches?

Which do you prefer? Knee patch or full seat breeches?

I ask this because I currently have a pair of tan knee patch breeches, but for Christmas I would really like a pair of white breeches... But I was wondering to get knee patch or full seat! I like the look and style of the full seat, but I've never worn them before. I'm thinking of going to a tack shop to try some on, but it can be difficult to find a place that carries men's breeches. Thanks, Sam.

xJumperx 10-07-2012 08:00 PM

I never liked full seat breeches, personally. They just felt too bulky, like I was sitting on a towel. Then again, I know people that swear by them. I haven't noticed a difference in the way they stick me to the saddle ... So I've only had the Knee Patches for a while.

If you were going to show in these breeches you're getting, I would probably get the full seat, though. Reason being, if they do provide extra stick, it would be good. Plus, you could practice in knee patches - so it would make you not reliant on the fullseat, but would be a nice aid when you want it :)

OH - Except if you do Hunters!! Completely forgot about that ... If you do Jumpers or Dressage, go for it. If you do Hunters, you are forbidden from wearing a full seat :p

Kayty 10-07-2012 08:08 PM

It depends on the brand. Some of the cheap brands like Dublin tends to be very thick and stiff as a full seat. I like to be able to move in the saddle, so prefer breeches that don't restrict me. If they are firmer material, I generally go for knee patches, or no inner leg grip at all. My competition breeches are full seats, but the inner fabric is much more stretchy and they do give some extra stick - when your horse spooks out from underneath you like lightening, any extra stick is welcomed in competition!
I LOVE my Kerrits full seats. They have little holes through the gripping section of the seat, so they don't get awful and hot. The seat is also black, so in the saddle your leather oil won't rub of onto your crotch and turn it black ;)

Almond Joy 10-07-2012 09:01 PM

I was thinking of getting Tuffrider- So probably much cheaper. How about polo jeans?

caseymyhorserocks 10-07-2012 09:02 PM

Unless you are showing dressage.. Sam.. Don't get white breeches! I prefer knee patches, I agree with Jumper on that.

Copperhead 10-07-2012 09:09 PM

I love love love fullseats. Not because they stick you to the seat or anything. I never noticed a real difference. I just like the appearance.

AND...during the hot, hot months, I noticed a lot of other riders getting that buttcrack sweatmark on their kneepatch breeches and that killed me. Of course, our instructor said that if your butt crack ain't sweating through your breeches, you're not riding. BUT...I just couldn't do it. So I switched to fullseat to protect my dignity. Never had a buttrcack sweat since then!

Kayty 10-07-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 1710440)
Unless you are showing dressage.. Sam.. Don't get white breeches! I prefer knee patches, I agree with Jumper on that.

:lol::lol::lol: Glad to see someone has some sympathy for us Dressage riders. WHO decided that tight white pants with a black jacket was a good look for anything, let alone anyone with any kind of shape to their body :shock:

Jore 10-07-2012 09:13 PM

I've wanted a pair of full seat breeches for awhile, but just have a couple kneepatch pairs.

About the butt sweat, my barn friend in the summer used to constantly have that same issue.. we laughed about it after each ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayty 10-07-2012 09:15 PM

Thats why we 'accidentally' get ourselves wet when hosing horses off after work in summer - if your breeches are wet, no one can see the butt crack sweat :P
The other problem with non-full seats is the camel toe :S *shudders at the thought*

tinyliny 10-07-2012 09:23 PM

If you are jumping, then knee patch is better , as you can move up and out of the saddle with greater ease. If you do dressage, full seat are really nice. They do have more stick em. They just do.