The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Horse shelter cost (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/horse-shelter-cost-139893/)

NikkasGurl 10-07-2012 09:54 PM

Horse shelter cost

ok, so i guess this is the right place to ask my question...
So i am having a barn raising..or more like a Shelter raising. We are going to build a basic two stall ( no door) shelter for my horse and pony. I personally have no idea how much this would cost. Before i research it i just wanted to get a quick estimate. this is going to be as cheap as possible and its going to be all wood. No door, and it has to be tall enough for a 15.3 hand horse.

what do you guys think? any estimate for how much this will cost? i would appreciate any answers. I am trying to do this for under 1000$ cause im only 15 and i have to pay for most of this...so im going the cheap way, i just need a shelter up before winter....

Thanks!

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 10-07-2012 10:44 PM

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unless you can find someone willing to let your take down their existing barn/structure then repurpose this for your needs you are going to have a hard time staying under $1,000 US. I think an average metal pole barn style loafing shed runs about $1,500 in materials

newbierider 10-07-2012 11:49 PM

what is the purpose of the shelter?? is it to be a barn or more of a run in?
what type of weather do you have? is this the only shelter? if its to be a 3 sided run in, you can do a cheap wooden run in for less than 1000.

give a bit more info

NikkasGurl 10-08-2012 12:06 AM

Sorry....yeah it is just a 3 sided run in. we usally have pretty mild weather, but we can still get some bad storms. Just depends. It will just be a run-in shelter though. Yeah it will be the only shelter for now...until i can save up for something nicer.

Koolio 10-08-2012 11:01 AM

I'm not sure where you are, but two years ago, I bought 2 8x16 three sided horse shelters on skids from Home Hardware (in Canada), pre-built and delivered to our property for $850 each. They aren't huge but are adequate for two full sized horses. I don't they've them divided at all as they are just open in the front.

With a budget of $1000, this is easily doable. If you build yourself, you will save a few hundred dollars.

NikkasGurl 10-08-2012 02:16 PM

I have looked for shelters like that...cant find them under 1000$
But we are building it ourselves... i am just not sure how much all the wood will cost. and im not sure how much i will need.

But you have given me hope:)

i live in VA...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolio (Post 1710972)
I'm not sure where you are, but two years ago, I bought 2 8x16 three sided horse shelters on skids from Home Hardware (in Canada), pre-built and delivered to our property for $850 each. They aren't huge but are adequate for two full sized horses. I don't they've them divided at all as they are just open in the front.

With a budget of $1000, this is easily doable. If you build yourself, you will save a few hundred dollars.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-08-2012 02:23 PM

We have a place here called The Railroad Supply, NO idea where they came up with that name, but they sell the metal and stuff to make the loafing sheds and barns and such. I priced out the materials for my shed and it was right around $500 and it's large enough for 3 horses, no problem.

Go to Lowe's and Home Depot and ask where their Cull Lumber pile is. They will have 2 X 4's and such that are a little twisted, or just not QUITE perfect for the home building trade, and you can usually buy them at 50% off and save a lot of money on your supports and stringers, too.

My 3 sided shed ended up costing me less than $600 and it's plenty spacious and sturdy.

Tianimalz 10-08-2012 02:24 PM

If you have a truck (or if your parents do, rather), then look on craigslist for wooden pallets. Factories around here are throwing them out all the time, and if you take the time to dismember them and clean the boards you can get some really nice ones to build the sides with.

NikkasGurl 10-08-2012 02:25 PM

Thanks soooo much!!! i will definitely check out the lowes and home depot!! that is a great idea!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1711168)
We have a place here called The Railroad Supply, NO idea where they came up with that name, but they sell the metal and stuff to make the loafing sheds and barns and such. I priced out the materials for my shed and it was right around $500 and it's large enough for 3 horses, no problem.

Go to Lowe's and Home Depot and ask where their Cull Lumber pile is. They will have 2 X 4's and such that are a little twisted, or just not QUITE perfect for the home building trade, and you can usually buy them at 50% off and save a lot of money on your supports and stringers, too.

My 3 sided shed ended up costing me less than $600 and it's plenty spacious and sturdy.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-08-2012 02:27 PM

%*%*($($(#)# site logged me out again and now I can't get back to my post.

Here's a fancier version of what I did:

http://www.billetbarns.com/images/Additions/adn11.jpg

I used wood instead of all the metal poles and no "feeder" doors, just a solid back. It's about the same size though.