The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse Shopping Rant (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-shopping-rant-139900/)

MysterySparrow 10-07-2012 10:58 PM

Horse Shopping Rant

Am I the only person who is driven half crazy when trying to shop for a horse with all the goofy things people say and do? A few guidelines that I always thought were pretty simple when selling: GROOM THEM! Stand them up and get a halfway decent picture so the people looking can tell at least SOMETHING about their conformation. LIST A PRICE!! I understand the private treaty thing when you have a horse worth tens of thousands of dollars, but come on, I should not have to email you to find out that your grade trail horse is priced at $750.

I am tired of people who put $1 in the price section on the website and then ask $5000 in the information. The price search criteria is there for a reason. If I have $1500, making me take the time to look at your horse is not going to magically give me $5000 to buy him.

Quit inventing names for crosses. It does not matter what mashed up word you use, your horse is still a cross and still grade.

I'm sure there is a lot more, but I just needed to get that out of my system.

Rant over.

Puddintat 10-07-2012 11:06 PM

I also hate when people don't advertise their horse truthfully. While horse shopping we found so many "beginner friendly" horses that hadn't the slightest idea of whoa and most were extremely forward. One of them even bucked while the owner was riding him for us!!! Then these people didn't understand why these horses weren't going to work out for us.

MysterySparrow 10-07-2012 11:29 PM

I know what you mean! I am not even being terribly picky this time around about a lot of things. I want a quiet personality, a decently willing disposition and at least 14hh. I can do the training as long as they are started under saddle. I can work through issues if they are a bit of a pain because of lack of riding or lack of know how.

I don't need a dead broke kids horse. I just want something to play with that I can take on trails. The only reason I care about quiet is this will be the trail buddy for introducing my filly to trails next year. I don't care about papers. Conformation is only of interest for health and soundness. If the personality is there, I will overlook faults that won't cause soundness issues. I am not searching for my next champion anything, but people are just nuts!

WSArabians 10-08-2012 01:09 AM

Thng is right now, it's a buyers markt Ads like? I don't give the time of day. Why? Because if you do norlt care about selling your horse, I do not care about buying it.

nikelodeon79 10-08-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysterySparrow (Post 1710580)
Am I the only person who is driven half crazy when trying to shop for a horse with all the goofy things people say and do?

Nope, drove me absolutely BONKERS too! I'm SO glad I found my horses so I don't have to look anymore.

Quote:

GROOM THEM! Stand them up and get a halfway decent picture so the people looking can tell at least SOMETHING about their conformation.
Soooo many people have pics of their horses WAY out in the field. Even if they're close, they're almost always pics of the horse with its head down and eating. I have to say that most horses look nice when they're eating. :lol:

A horse I was seriously interested in had LOADS of pics under saddle. I asked for confo pics, and they responded with, "he's not really a conformation horse." Ummm... I don't care that he's not "halter" material, I still want to see how he's put together.

Quote:

LIST A PRICE!! I understand the private treaty thing when you have a horse worth tens of thousands of dollars, but come on, I should not have to email you to find out that your grade trail horse is priced at $750.
I emailed about a CL ad for a "make an offer" listing. Do these people realize that "make an offer" ad on low priced horses are actually harmful? I passed over the same ad tons of times, thinking the horse was likely over my budget, and finally when I'd had horse after horse fall through, I decided to email. The trainer told me the owner wanted "a couple hundred," but when I looked at the horse, the owner said she was asking $1000, but would take $500 as her rock bottom dollar. So many different prices... made my head spin! "A couple hundred" is NOT $500 in my book. A couple hundred is $200.

Quote:

I am tired of people who put $1 in the price section on the website and then ask $5000 in the information. The price search criteria is there for a reason. If I have $1500, making me take the time to look at your horse is not going to magically give me $5000 to buy him.
Amen!

I'll add another one: PLEASE no pics of you STANDING on your horse or doing other idiotic things. I don't care how big of an idiot you are.. I only care about the horse.

MysterySparrow 10-08-2012 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=nikelodeon79;1710883I'll add another one: PLEASE no pics of you STANDING on your horse or doing other idiotic things. I don't care how big of an idiot you are.. I only care about the horse.[/QUOTE]

Right!? Just because you are a moron or a nutball does not make your horse better. I bet I could stand on the saddle of my 2yo long enough to get a picture, but that does not mean she is kid safe or even BROKE!

MAG1723 10-08-2012 09:02 PM

I hate it when I would be looking for a horse, they say I can come pick it up the next morning, then that night the phone and say "oh sorry! we sold it" ARG!!!!!!

fkcb1988 10-09-2012 01:53 AM

Oh I absolutly hate the $1 thing. Im right with you on that!

I also think its totally dumb to do this.....

NICE HORSES FORSALE! MUST SEE $700 (Oh ok! Im interested! click....)

I have horses forsale. $700 on up
817-555-4five5four

.....THE END!! Really? You really got my attention with your great info and amazing details. Dumb!

Or what about when you respond to someones ad and your all nice and chipper asking questions and they have one word answers acting like its such an inconvenience to give you info on the horse then onces you get some details out of them you ask whens a good time to come take a look and you get nada. No call or text back, nothing. Had that happen to me a month ago with a nice looking, from what I could see from the not to great photos, of an 8 yr old 16+ hh QH Hovarian cross.
Oh I absolutly hate the $1 thing. Im right with you on that!

I also think its totally dumb to do this.....

NICE HORSES FORSALE! MUST SEE $700 (Oh ok! Im interested! click....)

I have horses forsale. $700 on up
817-555-4five5four

.....THE END!! Really? You really got my attention with your great info and amazing details. Dumb!

Or what about when you respond to someones ad and your all nice and chipper asking questions and they have one word answers acting like its such an inconvenience to give you info on the horse then onces you get some details out of them you ask whens a good time to come take a look and you get nada. No call or text back, nothing. Had that happen to me a month ago with a nice looking, from what I could see from the not to great photos, of an 8 yr old 16+ hh QH Hanoverian cross.
Posted via Mobile Device

MysterySparrow 10-09-2012 09:40 PM

I never realized that a basic command of the English language escaped so many people either! I am going to look at the a horse on Friday (I think anyway) only because I IF I interpreted what he said accurately, this may be a worthwhile horse to look at.

Thero 6 years old, rode in a split bit with shanks and a assie saddle, such a baby, I can cawl under him no problem, stands good for farrier, no shoes, good black feet, stands still till you get your feet in.

I am crossing my fingers and translating that as, 6yo TB, ridden in a shanked snaffle and an aussie saddle, quiet and will tolerate silliness, stands for farrier, barefoot, good hard feet and stands to be mounted. Though I am open to suggestions of other possible interpretations...

SaddleStrings 10-09-2012 09:57 PM

Ditto to all of the above. Also hate when people can't spell: gelding, they spell it gilding, filly gets spelled Philly, sorrel turns into sorrow, not even palomino can be spelled correctly, sheesh! If you have been around horses long enough, you should know how to spell horse terms,