The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   I need help with getting tack for a gaited horse!! (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/i-need-help-getting-tack-gaited-139931/)

Horsecrazy4ever 10-08-2012 12:23 PM

I need help with getting tack for a gaited horse!!

I'm getting a Missouri Fox trotter that is older and is 14.1-14.2hh and PLUMP! No, I'll rephrase that: and FAT! :lol:

Anyway, what kind of saddle would I need? Do gaited horses require special saddles? WHAT kind of saddle would be most comfy for him?

Oh, and he is ridden in a hackamore-- I've heard of these "gaited" bits..... what's that? He loves his hack.

thanks in advance :-)

DancingArabian 10-08-2012 12:36 PM

You can use whatever saddle is appropriate for your style of riding. Gaited horses are often believed to need a special saddle because many are ridden in the show ring in a saddleseat saddle. As long as the saddle fits your horse, it doesn't matter what kind you use outside the show ring.

Same for the bit. If he likes his hackamore then keep using it if its working for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Guilherme 10-08-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1711010)
You can use whatever saddle is appropriate for your style of riding. Gaited horses are often believed to need a special saddle because many are ridden in the show ring in a saddleseat saddle. As long as the saddle fits your horse, it doesn't matter what kind you use outside the show ring.

Same for the bit. If he likes his hackamore then keep using it if its working for you!
Posted via Mobile Device

This.

G.

Dead Rabbit 10-08-2012 07:10 PM

i wouldnt buy a saddle for him till youve worked that fat off. the horse will change size and shape when you do. if you buy a saddle that fits him now, it wont fit once that weight is off.

my mare was fat. when i bought her. i borrowed a saddle and rode some of the weight off her, then went and bought one.

HorseCrazyTeen 10-09-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Rabbit (Post 1711403)
i wouldnt buy a saddle for him till youve worked that fat off. the horse will change size and shape when you do. if you buy a saddle that fits him now, it wont fit once that weight is off.

my mare was fat. when i bought her. i borrowed a saddle and rode some of the weight off her, then went and bought one.

This definitely matters. But when you do buy a saddle, this is the place I like a lot. Dixieland Gaited Saddles, Custom Gaited Saddles for the Walking Horse, Foxtrotter, etc Just to tell both sides of the story though--there have been complaints about the customer service if something goes wrong. Cynthia Wright has bent over backwards for us, so the service couldn't have been better, in my mind. And the quality of their stuff is fantastic. You can also have them send you a template so you can tell them the exact size of your horse. They sell saddle pads and saddlebags too.

Your hackamore is perfectly fine. I use Dr. Cook's bitless bridle on my mare sometimes. And you don't necessarily have to have a "gaited" bit, though I own one and love it.

On the side, if you ever want to buy any other kind of tack Half Circle Ranch, For All of your Natural Horsemanship Needs has great quality stuff at cheaper prices.

tim62988 10-09-2012 08:19 PM

The saddle that I have ridden my TWH Mare in the most is an abetta.

i borrowed a circle Y and it kept sliding, didn't want to put out the $$ for one of these "gaited" or custom saddles

the wife's abetta is just the plain base line square skirt model with semi-qh bars, but if your horse is wide might have more options with abettas if he works with the regular qh bars.

for the fat I would also talk to some nutritionists/feed sales people to get him on something that works for him & his new life

Horsecrazy4ever 10-09-2012 08:37 PM

thanks for all of you contributing to this thread :) I'm learning a lot.

G8tdh0rse 10-09-2012 08:57 PM

Abetta saddles are inexpensive, fit a lot of horses and are fairly comfortable. They are a pretty good choice for a less expensive saddle until your horse is slimmer.

7thhorsesoldier 10-09-2012 10:32 PM

IMHO I would definitely get some of the weight off. Then Look for a new saddle.

Also when looking for a new saddle I might consider a McClellan Cavalry Saddle. I know they look like a death trap for the ol' butt but a seat saver can do wonders. You can get them pretty cheap of of ebay right now. Last I checked good quality ride-able M1904 Mac's where selling for around $200-$150-even $100. At that price if it doesn't fit you can always re-sell it for at least the price you paid for it or just keep it to admire as a piece of history. But I must warn you to stay away from the Royal King civilian style mcclellans. THEY ARE BAD. Some may say that a original mcclellan wouldn't fit him which may be true if he's really fat but I have been surprised when a original mcclellan fit my fat wide backed arabian. NO joke. Just my 2 cents though, hope this helps!

PS. I've seen alot of gaited people ride in McClellans too.

cowgirl928 10-11-2012 03:58 PM

I understand the gaited saddle conundrum. I was trying to find a saddle for my fox trotter mare for a long time. You can ask a lot of people on here pretty sure they got sick of me. Anyways, go to Dixieland Gaited saddles as was already suggested. I caved and am getting a custom one made and while its expensive, its going to be SO worth it!

wait to buy or get the horse fitted though until it isn't a balloon. otherwise you might get a saddle that fits when the horse is a tub of lard with legs and then when the horse is in shape the saddle doesnt fit at all.

if the horse works well in a hackamore, keep it in one. No need to change it if all you are doing is leisure riding!