The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Eye injury healed but still a white spot?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/eye-injury-healed-but-still-white-139933/)

nvr2many 10-08-2012 11:33 AM

Eye injury healed but still a white spot??

Well McKinley hurt is eye somehow about a month ago. Took him to the vet and he treated it and gave us some bute and antibiotic drops. I was away for about 3 weeks and when I lgot back and looked at it there is a white spot where the cut was. I put a call into my vet but while waiting his reply thought I would ask here to see if anyone else knows anything about this???? Is this normal? Will it go away? Does the vet have to take it off and start over?? Thanks!!!

SaddleOnline 10-08-2012 11:50 AM

hmmm is it on his actual eye? If so, that could be scar tissue, or some sort of ulcer due to the irritation? I would give the vet a call ASAP and ask if that was an expected result of treatment. If it is his actual eyeball, you don't want to mess around! If the cut became infected or something, it could lead to him losing that eye.

If it is on his skin NEAR his eye, white hair regrowth is somewhat normal over scars.

Good Luck!

nvr2many 10-08-2012 12:15 PM

Yes thank you. I just got a call back from his vet. It is most likely scar tissue. It just sucks that it had to heal that way. It is on the eye ball itself where the ulcer/cut was. Probably got a stick or something in the eye. I was just hoping it would heal like new! He seems fine otherwise. No drainage, squinting at all! Thanks for your reply.

blush 10-08-2012 02:07 PM

Yeah that white spot will mostly like be there for a very long time. It's just scar tissue from the injury. My guy has one on his eye from a bad case of conjectivitis. :) it affects him in no way at all, just like a scar when you get cut on your arm or leg. It's just because the eye can't rejenerate the cells as fast as other parts of the body and it may go away completely over time. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

nvr2many 10-08-2012 03:07 PM

Good to hear, thank you!