The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   First Video Critique :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/first-video-critique-139966/)

txhorsejumper 10-08-2012 07:22 PM

First Video Critique :)

So,
Pride and I have had a rough couple of months. He was acting up and we were going backwards with all the training we were doing. I was to the point I was going to have to sell him because I thought I wasn't going to be able to help him. I obviously was torn up about the thought that I would have to part with him so I researched everything and had his Vet out for an exam to see if he was having issues with his hocks again (injected about a year ago) but he didn't see anything wrong. I continued to search for an answer and decided to try and treat for ulcers. He is off the track and is a very anxious horse and I didn't have much else to lose at that point. A month later he is fantastic! All the refusing, backing, spinning, taking-off, and stomping he was doing have ceased and he is better than ever! This is a video of a small course we did in a lesson the other day. We haven't jumped in about three months or so. Critiques of him and me please :) I know I have a lot to work on including my position over fences but something about my upper body in the canter is throwing me off......?
Thanks!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NstJQ...ature=youtu.be

AshsStorm 10-08-2012 10:42 PM

The video is private :(

txhorsejumper 10-08-2012 10:46 PM

WOW that would be a problem huh? LOL
try this.... I don't usually upload onto youtube sorry :(

Oxer 10-08-2012 11:48 PM

i love your horse! How long have you had him??
I like that he's a little hot, and i also understand how tough that can be sometimes. My horse is notorious for tantrum throwing.

I really like this article:
Video: Chill Out Your ‘Hot’ Horse

anyway, i can see that he still needs some time. Some training. But i also can see that he's talented and athletic. He's going to be pretty cool!

txhorsejumper 10-09-2012 12:16 AM

Thanks a lot! I have had him a little over 2 years. I bought him basically straight off the race track. It's been a huge learning experience for both of us but I wouldn't change a thing!

He is crazy athletic and willing. LOVES to jump! I can't wait to start showing :-)

tinyliny 10-09-2012 12:52 AM

I can't offer a critique as I don't jump, and, it's hard to see any detail in that video. But, I agree with Oxer; that horse is lovely and I love the push he has out of his hind end. He'd be awesome in dressage, and it might help slow him down abit. In general, I thought your rode well.

EvilHorseOfDoom 10-09-2012 04:08 AM

Love your horse! So nice and forward, and I agree with tiny that he could benefit from some dressage work.

Regarding your upper body, it seems to me like you're absorbing a lot of his movement (which is pretty bit, I might say, so this is understandable) in your neck and shoulders rather than in your body. To fix this, don't stiffen your shoulders or neck to stop them from moving but instead look for what else further down in your body is rigid and not absorbing the movement (from what I can see in the video it looks to be a combination of your knees and hips).

(Please note, I don't jump so this is just a critique on your two-point riding over the flat.)

txhorsejumper 10-09-2012 09:18 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments!! Sorry for the crappy video it's from my cell phone, I can't find the charge for my video camera :-(