The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   What to learn? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/what-learn-139970/)

Lexiie 10-08-2012 08:59 PM

What to learn?

Okay, I'm going to be taking lessons from a new trainer.
She does eventing with OTTBs, dressage, and almost everything english.
We were discussing what I'm wanting to really get from my lessons.

I have absolutely no idea what to do. I don't think that my mare, or myself, is fit for eventing. We both enjoy jumping, but we could never get past 3'.
Dressage seems interesting, but she's really too laid back to have a quick response.

I don't think she just does english lessons. If she doesn't I don't know what to do!

waresbear 10-08-2012 09:24 PM

Let the trainer see you & your horse work together & ask her what she thinks would be best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Strange 10-09-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexiie (Post 1711493)
I have absolutely no idea what to do. I don't think that my mare, or myself, is fit for eventing. We both enjoy jumping, but we could never get past 3'.
Dressage seems interesting, but she's really too laid back to have a quick response.

Whoa, girl, slow down!

Try not to start putting limits on yourself and your horse just yet! Almost any horse can event (and event well) at the lower levels! Why do you think you could never get past 3'? Not that it's a huge deal if you don't want to, but is it that you don't want to or don't think you can? Those are two totally different things! Many, many horses (I would hesitate to say all, but the majority of horses) are quite capable of jumping three-feet. And as for not having a quick response for dressage? That's what the lessons and training are for!

My best advice would be to stop thinking about what you CAN'T do and start thinking about what you already CAN do. Then go from there. What goals do you have? Do you WANT to event? Do you WANT to jump? Do you WANT to learn dressage? From there evaluate your current skill level and figure out (with your coach) what is the best plan to get you where you WANT to go. Don't start off saying "I can't" or you're just setting yourself up to fail.

Lexiie 10-09-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange (Post 1711992)
Why do you think you could never get past 3'? Not that it's a huge deal if you don't want to, but is it that you don't want to or don't think you can? l.

She has a problem with her stifle that acts up at higher jumps. So, even if anything in that leg could be strengthened, I'd still be a little nervous about bringing that back

Thank you for the advice and encouragement.