The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Snow (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/snow-1400/)

tmogg 04-02-2007 01:06 AM

Snow

Hello,

I bought my first home and I am finally going to be able to buy a horse but the area where I bought gets heavy snow. Up to 6 ft thick! I understand that I will have to buy hey for food but how do the horses get out for excercise in the field when the snow is so thick?

Regards,
trev

xmxixcxax 04-02-2007 12:53 PM

hey,is there anywer nearby that doesnt get as much snow that you could keep your horse at?or maybe y dont u get a stocky heavy horse that can cope with those harsh weather conditions?
xxx

tmogg 04-02-2007 08:42 PM

Thanks xmxixcxax,

I was planning on getting a couple of quarter horses but looking into a hardier breed is definately an option. Once I move to British Columbia I will talk to some of the local horse owners and see how they deal with the thick snow. They probably board there horses at one of the commercial stables located in a town at lower elevation.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers
tmogg

Horse_love999 04-03-2007 08:36 AM

i agree with xmixixcxax a larger, big bodied breed. For example, like a Draft, Belgin, Clyde, Perchon, Shire, etc.... :D :D

.:chelsea:.

xmxixcxax 04-05-2007 06:41 AM

yeh thats a good idea.make sure you let us know how it goes and what you finally deside to get!!
xxmicaxx

AKPaintLover 05-29-2007 01:12 AM

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. We have extreme cold and a lot of snow some years. I brought my stallion up from Alberta, He is 15 hands. We have two other quarter horses of the same size and a mix, also of that size.

Honestly, if you have a designated paddock or pasture that you keep your horse(s) in the whole winter, the snow should not be a huge problem for the horse. The horses pack down their regular used areas really well. I once boarded at a place with a shetland and a miniature horse who also did just fine in the snow. I even ride actively in the winter - I just ride the same trail and in the same arena to keep it packed down well.

The hardest part about a lot of snow is feeding, moving hay, and cleaning manure. Try to figure out a system for all of this to make your life easier before the snow flies. :)

Saranda 03-21-2012 03:21 AM

Could you please stop posting this video all over the forum??

HowClever 03-21-2012 03:23 AM

Both "zanick" and what i assume is the alter "BlackBeauty" have been reported.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bridgertrot 03-21-2012 06:18 PM

Btw, snow is "deep" not thick lol. Like the other person said the horses will usually trample it down. If not you can always assist by breaking out the snow shovel.
Posted via Mobile Device

uii 03-24-2012 05:11 PM

Indoor arena?

If you can go somewhere with an indoor arena, you could work them in there. It's obviously not safe to work a horse in 6 feet of snow. Horses plow their way through the snow. As long as your horse is not slipping, you can leave it outside for the daytime hours. I would not leave them in the paddock at night, though, because then you can't keep an eye on how their doing. Good luck! :D