The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Just started and I love the dark side.... (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/just-started-i-love-dark-side-140009/)

Cottonwood Stables 10-09-2012 10:29 AM

Just started and I love the dark side....

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to say that I trained my pony to drive last year because he is too small for adults to ride and I wanted to repurpose him for when the "kids grow out of him" and I don't have to sell him. He was such a jerk to train and to tell you the truth it was the first driving horse that I trained myself or owned! Get this... he did it all for the cookie! Totally clicker trained the guy and he is such a sweet and quiet guy for driving. He has the best whoa...... because it is usually shortly followed with a cookie.

I was just wondering if anyone used clicker training to train their driving equine?

nickers103 10-09-2012 12:47 PM

I haven't used or heard much about clicker training horses when training to drive but I'm dying to learn! Any pointers and tips on how you accomplished it?

I have a horse that was purchased at around 4 years old and that had been previously purchased at auction. She's a Haflinger cross of sorts and was supposedly trained to drive (I live in the heart of Amish country so I'm assuming probably by Amish). It was challenging enough just to get accustom to riding her under saddle that no one ever took the time to figure out if she actually knew how to drive or not. Now that I've owned her for 8 years, she needs a job and I considered possibly trying to train her to drive. Sounds similar to your situation. How did you ever get it accomplished?

Cottonwood Stables 10-09-2012 01:48 PM

Oh great! I am in the heart of mennonite country!! Lol! So it is kind of hard to explain with this format but here goes:

First teach the pony that click= cookie you will know when you have done this because when you click the pony's ear will spring forward and eyes will bug out.

Then ask the pony to push into the pressure of the cart and then click with one step and give the reward

Then get two step then click and cookie, then three steps then click and cookie... and so on unitl you can do a fiqure 8 then two figure 8 and so on until you only need to give a click and cookie when you get back to the barn.

Sometimes you need to be more frequent with the reward if the pony is having a bad day. Make it easy for them to fall into the correct answer.

I wish I could show you how but it is hard just to type the steps that I took.

michaelvanessa 10-09-2012 02:56 PM

breaking a horse to harness

hiya i have just broken my cob to harness and i use tit bits as a reward.

i have had him nearley a month now and i issue verble commands to him he stands out and also says please and asks for a titbit.

although he is only 4 he was bucking a bit i use an old troting sulky as a brakeing cart well he kicked the cart and he is 100% now and he is a quick learner to.

and had him on the track and and gave him tit bits on verious locations and im pleased with his progress in harness so im fixing his 4 wheeler at the moment as the brake is being upgraded.

its a good cart its an exercise vechiel and has a box seat so a driver and groom can sit up front and six passangers siting on the back and we used it for school fates and exercise and pony rides with my frends welsh section c the sad thing both of them have passed on.

my driveing pony works to verble commands walk trot and canter left and right and the pony i lost a year ago i drove them in tandem and thay both responded to verble commands.

happy driveing.

G8tdh0rse 10-09-2012 07:42 PM

From what I have read, clicker training is quite successful with horses.

Saddlebag 10-09-2012 09:35 PM

I pretty much employ it when the horse gets sticky about something as I find it helps him break thro that.