The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Doc Bar Mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/doc-bar-mare-140021/)

KSL 10-09-2012 12:52 PM

Doc Bar Mare?

I've trained this mare since she was little and she was recently given to me by a family friend after their divorce and I got a hold of her papers.

I'm no expert, but isnt Doc Bar a big name?

She is trained in reining and cutting and has an awesome handle. Really nice horse. With her breeding (if it is even anything?) how much would she be worth? I know training and skills can't be accounted for... I guess I'm asking if her breeding adds anything to her value.

Here's the link.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sugar+doc+prescription

As you can tell, I love learning more about pedigrees and breeding, although it doesn't change how I use my horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 10-09-2012 02:08 PM

Doc Bar is a very big name with QH, but you'll see it in A LOT of bloodlines. Like, we are talking HUNDREDS of offspring. If I had a dollar for how many horses I know that go back to Doc Bar... :)

I wouldn't count it as something that would make her any more expensive of a horse, at all.

KSL 10-09-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1712454)
Doc Bar is a very big name with QH, but you'll see it in A LOT of bloodlines. Like, we are talking HUNDREDS of offspring. If I had a dollar for how many horses I know that go back to Doc Bar... :)

I wouldn't count it as something that would make her any more expensive of a horse, at all.

Not more "expensive." Just more valuable.

He is really close on her bloodlines.

MangoRoX87 10-09-2012 02:30 PM

Even then, it's such a popular bloodline.

Kind of like Hancock bred horses. Everyone makes a big deal out of a horse being bred Hancock, whenever it's such an over popular bloodline it really does nothing for value. In fact, seems like most Hancock breeders just go for the roan gene almost..

KSL 10-09-2012 02:31 PM

So are her bloodlines good or sub-par? I'm honestly just curious.

MangoRoX87 10-09-2012 02:39 PM

Yes they are good, Doc Bar was a great horse and a few other names kind of stood out to me, but I'm saying it will not increase her value being Doc Bar bred:)

KSL 10-09-2012 03:01 PM

I'm not even thinking about selling her, I was just wondering how much they have away, basically.
Posted via Mobile Device

kctop72 10-09-2012 03:03 PM

If the pedigree is correct (not saying anything negative), that would put Doc Bar "on" her papers which would make her more desireable. He's on the top and botton but only 2 generations back on the top and 5 on the bottom. That has been my experience anyway.

BarrelRacer23 10-10-2012 12:30 AM

Being a daughter of Docs Prescription makes her pretty valuable. She's a well bred horse. While its true Doc Bar is pretty common, it's old and hard to find on the papers anymore unless on the back. She's a granddaughter, that makes her worth something.
Posted via Mobile Device

KJsDustyDash 10-10-2012 01:15 AM

She's got Doc Bar close on her papers, she also has Three Bars and Poco Bueno. All of them aren't too far back. She can also boast Doc's Lynx and Doc Olena. Pretty big names on your little mare. Her papers just mean that she has some value as a brood mare should you no longer be able to rider her (from my perspective) but to potential buyers they might increase her price. If she goes as well as you say and she has the papers to back up her performance you have a pretty great horse.