The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Need help please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/need-help-please-140032/)

okan 10-09-2012 02:00 PM

Need help please

7 Attachment(s)
Hi,
This is my horse. About 2 month ago I call nail man to cut his nails. This man was new to this job . My old man was bussy and my friend advice me to call him to nail the horses. He come and cut the nails but he cut them deep I think because horse get sick and can not walk operly and you can see he is in pain while walking. Most of the time he is lalying on ground because of the pain. I call vet. He come and give me the blue powder to mix it hot water and put horse nails in it. As well as the medicines that you can see the pictures. I did this but did not work. Vets in here no have knowlage about big animals. I call the old nail man and he come too he said horse get bacteria in his body so his legs hot. He suggested same medicines. We even nail the horse forone month so his nails grow proper. Today I clean his nails again. His nails as you will see the white places on nail is soft and it come out so easy. the rest of his nails are strong but the white places are so soft. I do not know what to do. Please help me to help this little horse.

Thanks
Okan Polatkan

deserthorsewoman 10-09-2012 03:21 PM

GET A DIFFERENT VET!!!!!
can you put sand in the stall so the poor horse doesn't have to lay on the cement floor?

tinyliny 10-09-2012 03:22 PM

Hello Okan,
Welcome to the forum. I can see that English is not your first language, so, if we do not understand completely your description, please correct us.

Was your horse's FEET hot? the bottom of the hoof (nails)? only, or was it hot all the way up the leg?
Did this happen suddenly? or did he go lame little by little?

Did the Vet (animal doctor) take his temperature (his body temperature) to see if he had an infection?

What is he eating? what kind of hay? grain?

Is he standing in a lot of mud or wet manure?

please give more details.

I am suspecting laminitis, but not sure.

deserthorsewoman 10-09-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1712541)
Hello Okan,
Welcome to the forum. I can see that English is not your first language, so, if we do not understand completely your description, please correct us.

Was your horse's FEET hot? the bottom of the hoof (nails)? only, or was it hot all the way up the leg?
Did this happen suddenly? or did he go lame little by little?

Did the Vet (animal doctor) take his temperature (his body temperature) to see if he had an infection?

What is he eating? what kind of hay? grain?

Is he standing in a lot of mud or wet manure?

please give more details.

I am suspecting laminitis, but not sure.

This was my guess too, that's why I suggested sand in the stall.

okan 10-09-2012 04:25 PM

deserthorsewoman:
We do not have many vets here. There is one woman but she does not understan from nails. She understand from body. And I no keep her in barn all the time. Most of the time she is out. I feed her so thats why she was inside.

tinyliny:
Yes my english limited. But I translate it and read what you said and I just went out and check her.
1- Her feed is just little hot. But hot not sure how hot. Just little. Her nail bottom no hot. Its cold. All her nail cold.
2- We do not have proper vets. They do not even come to see . Money is not issue. Just no vet. Nail man. He knows better. Doctor did not take tempature. Nail man said infection. I call vet to come . Vet said get these medicines and do it horse. Naıl man help me.
3- I feed them cow food. I have 2 other horse. They eat to. I have this horse long time. Do not think food problem. She finish food. And other 2 horse no have problem. This is new nail man wrong. He cut outside nails to much. After he finished nails were pink outside.
4- No no mud here. I often clean barns water but no stay wet. after 1 hour its dry.

I am no profesional. I no even ride horse. After I fall down and my big horse step on me I stop. I try my best to look after them good. After I fall I scared a lot and now scare to go close. But I try I often let them free. Feed them 2 times. I call nail man to put shoes. I get warm medicine. Sometimes I brush them if they stay good.
I read and learn.
I listen and learn.
I watch and learn

Outside nails are not soft. really strong. Middle of bottom of nail also so strong. But the corners are soft .
I watch some youtube movies to see any same but not find.
this vid nearly same. But my horse no have hole on nail. and no abscess. But when I try clean mine ( no cut ) clean I feel horse in pain.
This hose on movie have one leg pain. But my horse both front legs.

What I do?

Kayella 10-09-2012 04:41 PM

I just had the farrier out yesterday, and my new boy has flaky "nails" too. They're white and powdery. At first I thought thrush, but the farrier said it wasn't. I can't remember what he told me it was, but he told me to mix half bleach and half water in a spray bottle. Clean the feet out every day and spray the bottom of the nails every day. This is supposed to help strengthen them.

Did he cut the bottom of the hoof? As in, did he whittle the bottom of the nail with a curved knife? Perhaps he took off too much sole, and the pony has gone lame because of such a thin sole.

deserthorsewoman 10-09-2012 04:42 PM

If both legs and hooves hurt I say it is laminitis. Try to find on the internet something in your language about it to compare symptoms. Where are you, maybe we can help you find something.

Critter sitter 10-09-2012 05:03 PM

It could be a abscess that has not came to the surface yet.. I hope you can find the help you need . Bless your sweet pony

okan 10-09-2012 05:15 PM

I just watch this.
I understand what you mean. My pony walk exactly same like this horse. What I do now :( How can I help this pony.

any suggestion please????

deserthorsewoman 10-09-2012 05:19 PM

What is your mother language? I will try to find you help but I need to know where to look!