The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   How Much do you weigh? (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/how-much-do-you-weigh-140047/)

Ems1 10-09-2012 04:18 PM

How Much do you weigh?

And what breed of horse do you ride? what do you do with them?

CowboysDream 10-09-2012 04:28 PM

You might get more answers if you said why you want this information. I notice your first ever post was to say that some of the ladies are too big for their horses and telling them to lose weight. I sure hope your motivation in this thread is not to tell people they are too big for their horses.

Speed Racer 10-09-2012 04:36 PM

Number one, NEVER ask someone's weight. That's completely rude and out of line.

Number two, what makes YOU some sort of expert about the weight a particular horse can carry?

Total noob poster, and in your very first post you insulted people by telling them they need to lose weight because their horses look uncomfortable.

Unless you're George Morris, you don't have the expertise to tell anyone what they should or should not be doing, or what weight their animals can carry.

SouthernTrails 10-09-2012 04:47 PM

I am 6'-4", weigh 475lb and Ride a 14 hand Quarter Horse, what do I do with them? Feed them Mostly :lol:

Roperchick 10-09-2012 04:47 PM

erp derp...what they said^^^^:lol:

im not a plus sized rider (5'8" 120lbs) but I dont even like getting height/weight done at PT tests by people i know....i dont see why anybody would answer that question of a complete stranger whos ONLY OTHER POST was a critisism of peoples weight and saying theyre basically bad people for riding?????

Ems1 10-09-2012 04:48 PM

Im curious as to what weights you actually think horses can carry!!
Im not out to start a fight Im pureley curious.

Does a western saddle distribute weight differently to an english? How do you get on? how would you say your horse would tell you enough?

Quote:

Mod note
While it is not a rule to type around word sensors, my personal discretion says it is, please do not do it again EMS1

CowboysDream 10-09-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ems1 (Post 1712660)
Im curious as to what weights you actually think horses can carry!!
Im not out to start a b1tch fight Im pureley curious.

Does a western saddle distribute weight differently to an english? How do you get on? how would you say your horse would tell you enough?

How much weight a horse can carry is dependent on every individual horse. Some factors that help horses carry more weight are:
- good confirmation
- short back
- strong thick legs
- good bone
- good feet
- overall good condition / fitness

Of course then there's the riders balance and fitness. The same horse could carry a 200lbs rider who has good balance and seat better than it could carry a 150lbs rider who has no balance and bounces around on their backs. Also duration and pace of rides come into account as well.

I am pretty sure english saddles distribute weight differently than western. You could do a google search or search the forum and I am sure people have discussed this before.

I get on by using a mounting block, then putting my foot in the stirrup and swinging my other leg over. Just like anyone else might.

Sometimes you can just tell, for example I would never even try to get on a horse with a long back. Thats just asking for trouble. But for actual riding, if your horse braces itself and groans when you get on, then that horse is not a suitable match for you. If the horse flicks its head around for you and not other riders than it is most likely uncomfortable. I assume a horse would tell you just like any other horse would when its in pain. Through body language.

Roperchick 10-09-2012 05:21 PM

yes western and english saddle distribute weight differently

an example:
"
Quote:

-A typical English saddle with a 150 lb rider up will apply about 1 ¾ lbs of pressure per square inch to the horse’s back.
-A typical western saddle, with that same rider up, will apply only ¾ lb per square inch.
Why the difference? A western saddle has far greater weight bearing surface to better distribute the weight."
so even though western saddles can weigh up to 30-60lbs its built to distribute the weight over a broader area of the horses back, alleviating some of the stress of the weight

while english saddles are built to give more close contact to the horses back, and has a more concentrated/smaller area for weight distribution.

so while english saddles are lighter and smaller, it may nto always be easier on the horse...

it depends alot on the factors that CD listed.

MBFoley 10-10-2012 11:57 AM

I am 5'2" and weigh more than I should but less than I have. I ride a 16.1hh thoroughbred. We thus far have mostly walked around the arena and boarding stable, have gone on one (mostly) walk only trail ride (I say mostly because he wanted to gogogogo and while I was able to keep him to a walk for most of it, we did do a little trotting). We have done a little trotting in the arena but not much because I am still getting my balance and seat back and while my posting is coming along, I still don't like bouncing on him that much. We ride English although I would like to get a western saddle as well, and eventually bareback as that has always been my favorite way to ride. As far as how I get on - I use the same 3 step mounting block the rest of the riders at my barn use to get on. As long as Kid acts happy to be brought in and tacked up, stands willingly for me to get on, moves willingly and smoothly, stays sound in feet and legs and his back shows no sign of soreness (which he did have a sore back when he came off the track) then I am content in knowing I am not asking too much of him.

afatgirlafathorse 10-10-2012 11:57 AM

Guess.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XfnFJLFx-Z.../buttboots.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IktDp5BWLG...81339404_n.jpg