The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   House/Pet Sitting (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/house-pet-sitting-140070/)

EveningShadows 10-09-2012 07:55 PM

House/Pet Sitting

I've recently been asked to house and pet sit for 2 weeks for a very nice lady with 3 horses and 4 dogs. It would be a live in situation where I would be responsible for all feeding and care as well as house upkeep...only problem is I have no idea what's fair to charge! Everywhere I'm looking gives quotes of $25-ish per night to watch 1-2 dogs...

What do you guys think? 3 of the dogs are under 5lbs and seem fairly easy to care for other than energy (jack russel and 2 chihuahuas) and the 4th dog is an older border collie with some health issues. The horses are super simple - feed and water, fence is sturdy, not much extra care required other than feeding the older gelding a grain ration every day. I live about 30 minutes away from this farm and work is 10 mins from MY house so it IS kinda out of the way. Adds quite a bit of travel to get to MY barn to ride as well, but it's only for a couple weeks.

So, let me know what you figure would be fair cost! Open to suggestion, the lady hasn't discussed payment yet but I'm not sure what's fair. Thanks!!!

themacpack 10-09-2012 08:23 PM

No idea - every time I've done this it's been more as a favor for a friend, co-worker, etc and I've just gone into it intending to do it for the fun of doing it (yes, I am one of those sick/sad people who finds it fun, lol). I've always ended up being compensated by them, but have taken whatever they feel as fair as a nice extra.
At the very least, you need to consider what your expenses are going to be due to the increased travel to/from work, etc - then build from there I suppose.