The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Egg butt snaffle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/egg-butt-snaffle-140078/)

KSL 10-09-2012 09:08 PM

Egg butt snaffle
 
Explain this bit to me, what it does for the horse and some uses for it (western, trails, English ect.) I have one in my barn and have never touched it.
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 10-09-2012 09:33 PM

A lot of good bit information:

::: Sustainable Dressage - Tack & Auxillary Equipment - The Bridle & the Bit :::

I have two horses in single-jointed eggbutts. Both are English horses. I like it because it's more stable in their mouths than loose ring snaffles, in my experience, and doesn't allow for pinching of the lip.

PunksTank 10-09-2012 09:42 PM

I like egg buts because the head stall holds the bit at the correct angle in their mouth, more so than loose rings, but not so much as a full cheek with keepers. D's and Eggbutts and Full cheeks also provide a good deal of lateral movement, so when you pull one rein it applies pressure on the outside of the mouth on the opposite side. So pushing the mouth over as well as applying pressure to the tongue/bar.
Personally I prefer french link over single linked bits, simply because it reduces the nut-cracker action. But some horses don't like all the mess of the two links and do better in a single joint. Tends to be horses with a low pallet wont like single jointed. You could also try unjointed, mullened out mouthpiece, I like them.
:)

EvilHorseOfDoom 10-10-2012 11:40 PM

My horse is ridden in an eggbutt French-link (double-jointed) snaffle. As Punks said above, the eggbutt rings help keep the bit at the correct angle, and I find the rounded rings are more comfortable for the horse's cheeks than a dee-ring (although I know some horses that prefer a dee). The double-jointed action of the french-link keeps the pressure off the tongue and roof and prevents a squeezing nutcracker action that can happen with a single-jointed bit.

I ride English (mostly dressage and trails).

But I'm curious, if you don't know the workings of an eggbutt snaffle how can you be vehemently against bits in your other thread?

bsms 10-11-2012 12:36 AM

I prefer the D-ring for my mare. We've tried 2 piece snaffles and 3 piece snaffles, and she seems more relaxed with a two piece. Given my style of riding, I don't think nutcracker action is something to worry about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilHorseOfDoom (Post 1714634)
...But I'm curious, if you don't know the workings of an eggbutt snaffle how can you be vehemently against bits in your other thread?

Me too!

Muppetgirl 10-11-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 1714718)
I prefer the D-ring for my mare. We've tried 2 piece snaffles and 3 piece snaffles, and she seems more relaxed with a two piece. Given my style of riding, I don't think nutcracker action is something to worry about.



Me too!

An 'aha!' moment:lol:

Golden Horse 10-11-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilHorseOfDoom (Post 1714634)

But I'm curious, if you don't know the workings of an eggbutt snaffle how can you be vehemently against bits in your other thread?

Makes me wonder how much this person knows, I mean seriously, an eggbutt is one of those bits that 99% of people have hanging around, (I'm kind of including D Ring in there as well)

Nope, got no more, just walking away shaking my head

KSL 10-11-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1714725)
Makes me wonder how much this person knows, I mean seriously, an eggbutt is one of those bits that 99% of people have hanging around, (I'm kind of including D Ring in there as well)

Nope, got no more, just walking away shaking my head

Just never used it. I ride western primarily.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 10-11-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSL (Post 1715025)
Just never used it. I ride western primarily.
Posted via Mobile Device

Anyone who's familiar with Western riding would already know that eggbutts are commonly used in those disciplines. They're not just used in English disciplines.

Seriously starting to wonder if you even know the front end of a horse from the back end, much less actually ride. :?

KSL 10-11-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1715057)
Anyone who's familiar with Western riding would already know that eggbutts are commonly used in those disciplines. They're not just used in English disciplines.

Seriously starting to wonder if you even know the front end of a horse from the back end, much less actually ride. :?

Whatever. I ride daily. And know exactly what I am doing.
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0