The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tall boots zipper issue (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tall-boots-zipper-issue-140083/)

Rachel1786 10-09-2012 10:07 PM

Tall boots zipper issue

Every once in a while the zipper of my one tall boots separates after I zip up the boot, Typically it happens after I ride and I'm putting the boot trees in. Usually I'm able to unzip it and it corrects it's self but today after it was very hard to unzip and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get the zipper back down. Is there anyway I can prevent this from happening again, could it be from dirt getting in the zipper? It seems like it took me forever to break in these boots and I don't want to have to replace them!

Rachel1786 10-11-2012 09:58 AM

Bumpity bump bump
Posted via Mobile Device

Nitefeatherz 10-11-2012 12:38 PM

Have you tried taking it to a cobbler/shoe maker? They can likely fix the zipper for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rachel1786 10-11-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitefeatherz (Post 1715195)
Have you tried taking it to a cobbler/shoe maker? They can likely fix the zipper for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I haven't. I don't think the zipper needs to be replaced since it does fix itself when I unzip it, but last time it was really hard to unzip. I think maybe it's from arena dust/dirt getting in the teeth since it usually happens after I ride but I'm not sure how to keep it from happening or how to clean it

Chevaux 10-12-2012 12:13 AM

Unless you're rolling around in the dirt (:lol:), I don't think that is a significant factor. The problem goes more to the construction of that particular zipper itself and it should be replaced. A shoemaker can replace the zipper. If you're going to get it replaced, I'd suggest taking both boots in so the shoemaker can replace the other zipper as well if he/she can't match the existing zipper.

Manasquan2001 10-14-2012 01:24 AM

I just recently heard spraying WD-40 on the zippers will help, but I dont know much about boot zippers, so you may want to look it up:)

waresbear 10-14-2012 02:29 AM

I read an article about tall zippered boots in a horse magazine. It said eventually the zippers will break, not a matter of if but a matter of when. Once a zipper is separating, it is on it's way out. Try the WD40 and see if gives you anymore time with them before the teeth eventually won't hold. Reason why I only use mine for shows, rest of the time it is paddock boots & 1/2 chaps.
Posted via Mobile Device