The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dressage saddle information like tree size and other stuff

4K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  unclearthur 
#1 ·
this is the dressage saddle we bought at an auction for 30 with the leathers and stirrups included just wondering in if i got robbed or not :-p let me know what you think of it

right

left

front

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think you'd be robbed buying any saddle with stirrups and irons at $30. Does it not have any markings on it , anywhere , to tell you the maker? It doesnt' look bad. I doubt it's top quality, but it's kind of hard to tell from those photos. Cannot tell the balance on it , either, because it is on that chair back instead of a stand. careful putting on anything the way you have it there, with something pressing right up into the gullet. try to keep it where it is bearing weight where it normally does, or set in it's "forks", such as in transport in your car.

#6 ·
It looks decent enough, missing some d-rings on the right and I wouldn't attach anything to those front d-rings.
I don't see where it's missing any D-rings, poppy. English saddles regardless of style generally only have D-rings on one side of the back of the saddle.

It looks to be really narrow so it may not fit your horse, OP. The creases in that one panel concern me.

As poppy asked, how does the leather feel? Good leather should have some give to it, even if it's been neglected. If the leather feels stiff and cardboard-y it's cheap.

#5 ·
My gut feeling is it's 'foreign' made - I can't be specific, it just has that look. Tree shape, pads, panel stitching, stitched billets, chrome rear dees. The leathers are certainly cheapies from the frilly flesh side (which should be outermost).

Plus it looks a narrow fit, though that might be the photo angle - no more than a medium, in any case.

Cheap enough at the price IF it fits your horse :)

#13 ·
But.... what if you get bucked off your horse? In that case, I would expect you would be sadly in need of a drink, and there goes your brandy, galloping madly down the trail. :cry:

Perhaps your nice flask strapped to the saddle, with a spare in your pocket? :D

#25 ·
And for the gullet width

Please bear in mind this is a very, very rough guide to tree width. It depends on how far up the panel is fixed, which can vary slightly between individual saddles of the same model, never mind from manufacturer to manufacturer. A lot of people measure dee ring to dee ring, which is just as variable :(

#24 ·
I tend to agree with jumanji, but based on the top photo where the shoulder angle, just visible on the offside, is a lot flatter than the angle of the tree point. They should match - if the tree angle is steeper the saddle will pinch.

You should get a rough idea if you fit the saddle then slide the flat of your hand hand between horse and saddle behind the flap. If it slides under easily something's causing it to bridge, and the tree width is the first thing to suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.