The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   colic? or am I over reacting? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/colic-am-i-over-reacting-14009/)

Snapple122 08-27-2008 09:38 PM

colic? or am I over reacting?

Ok, so I went down to feed our 2 horses just a afew minutes ago and I stood there watching them eat for a while.
Snapple kicked her hind left leg 3 times (like she was kicking at a a fly) but instead of kicking out, she looked like she was kicking in at her stomach.. now, she only did it twice in a matter of about 15 minutes or more.
I know kicking the stomach is a sign of colic, but what are the other signs? I didn't notice her doing anything else out of the ordinary, and she was eating her hay..

thanks!

NorthernMama 08-27-2008 10:11 PM

Well, here's a start and remember you can look on the 'net for symptoms too:

-kicking at belly (like you said)
-turning head towards belly, maybe trying to bite at it
-not eating
-general malaise / pain / discomfort
-change in gut sounds -- none is bad! but it could show as louder than normal or faster than normal; could be on one side or the other or both

There's a really good thread on colic under "horse health" topic starter is colic- walk, roll or not? gut noise or not? I started it and got some terrific information. I'll see if I can find the link and post it below. I actually printed it out and keep it in one of my health books.

If you're worried, give her some water, listen to her gut, check her pulse and hang out for a while for change in behavior. Then go check her again later. Probably nothing, but better safe than sorry!

NorthernMama 08-27-2008 10:15 PM

Found it!

http://www.horseforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10155

G and K's Mom 08-28-2008 12:13 PM

Ryle took the time to put up some great info on the previous post.

I'll add that my vet has a sign in his office which states " Don't let the sun go down on a colic".

It needs to be dealt with quickly. Our younger one went from slight distress to surgery within 45 minutes.

Dumas'_Grrrl 08-28-2008 02:41 PM

When Dumas had a gas/grass colic we didn't really notice it until he was all sweaty......We thought it was odd though Colic didn't even cross our minds. In a matter of 15 mins he was laying down and wanted to roll , roll, roll. That's when it smacked us right between the eyes that he was colicing. I hate it when your mind won't wrap around the situation!

appylover31803 08-28-2008 02:48 PM

When Gem had a slight impaction colic, we didn't catch it early.
He was coming out of being sedated (he had a lot of drugs in his system) He was not currently on grain, and we thought he was laying down because his feet were sore. They were trimmed after a long while of not being properly trimmed.
Tom and I were there when he was in a small paddock. Gem layed down, but didn't try to roll, and didn't indicate (by biting or kicking) at his stomach that anything was wrong.
We stayed with him for an hour or so and thought he'd be fine. At 2am we receive a phone call from our BO saying that she had called the vet as the suspected that Gem was colicing. :shock:
He made a full recovery though :)

If your horse isn't acting normal, i would atleast just call you vet and tell him/her what's going on.