The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Micklem Multi Bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/micklem-multi-bridle-140104/)

brookebum 10-10-2012 07:07 AM

Micklem Multi Bridle

Has anyone bought or used a micklem mmulti bridle?
I am very keen on them- i like the idea that you can go from bit to bitless with lots of options. I jsut dont know if they are worth the money, and do claim the comfort for the horse that they claim!
Also, has anyone had problems going back to a bit after they have ridden bitless?

verona1016 10-10-2012 02:27 PM

I'd love to try the Micklem bridle, but am also a little hesitant to spend that much money on a bridle style that I have never seen in person, that my horse may or may not like, and that I may or may not notice any difference with :-P

Dover Saddlery has a trial program for them, but you have to pay shipping both ways, so you end up paying $22 to try it for a few days and it doesn't even come with the bitless converter.

SmartPak will ship both ways free, but it's not a trial program and I feel like I'm gaming the system if I buy it not being at least reasonably certain that I really do want to keep it...

ETA- also, I hate rubber reins, so I know I'd have to shell out for a new set.

brookebum 10-10-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verona1016 (Post 1713816)
I'd love to try the Micklem bridle, but am also a little hesitant to spend that much money on a bridle style that I have never seen in person, that my horse may or may not like, and that I may or may not notice any difference with :-P

Dover Saddlery has a trial program for them, but you have to pay shipping both ways, so you end up paying $22 to try it for a few days and it doesn't even come with the bitless converter.

SmartPak will ship both ways free, but it's not a trial program and I feel like I'm gaming the system if I buy it not being at least reasonably certain that I really do want to keep it...

ETA- also, I hate rubber reins, so I know I'd have to shell out for a new set.

Yeah exactly! They are so expensive, and I have never seen one in persn too know if it does what it claims to. Im in australia so no dover or smartpak :(

brookebum 10-12-2012 05:59 AM

Has anybody here actually used one?

aspin231 10-13-2012 03:07 AM

I don't think that they're at all necessary. I've never used one, but that's because I don't see the point.

If you want a cross-under, get a cross-under. You can also put a standard throatlatch on your cross-under and remove the cross-under straps, attach the reins to your noseband and voila! Side-pull!

If you want a bitted bridle, use... a bridle...
Unless you're cranking down the noseband or over-tightening the throatlatch, I don't see how the horse is going to feel differently about the Micklem.

The only option on the Micklem that I see as being potentially beneficial is that you can attach the rings of your bit to your noseband to reduce pressure in the mouth. I have two trains of thought about this.
1. You could use either a bit with a noseband attached (properly known as a half-breed snaffle), or use a kineton noseband- both transfer bit pressure to the nose;
2. Don't pull so hard as to require bit pressure to be transferred to the nose!

Otherwise, I view this bridle as a waste of time. You can accomplish all it has to offer with traditional methods.

Bobthebuilder 10-13-2012 06:20 AM

I really like it. My horse wasn't too keen on the bitless, but especially if you're just starting bitless I think it's good to have the options.
You can lunge in it, so that's great. It's also great for horses with long mouths that get bit rubs.
It's a great piece of equipment imo, several riding school horses have it too.
I was unsure about it too- I got it cheaper (second hand) and kept an open mind- don't knock anything 'till you try it ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

brookebum 10-13-2012 06:44 PM

Thankyou!
Yes I have never done bitless before, so i dont know if he ould be better sidepull, cross under etc so i figure with the micklem i could try the options out.
Is it hard to go back to a bit after using bitless?

aspin231 10-13-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookebum (Post 1718119)
Thankyou!
Yes I have never done bitless before, so i dont know if he ould be better sidepull, cross under etc so i figure with the micklem i could try the options out.
Is it hard to go back to a bit after using bitless?

Why not get a cross-under bridle and have it double as a sidepull? It's definitely a less expensive option to purchasing a Micklem.

Saddlebag 10-13-2012 07:43 PM

There's a reason the throat latch is so called because by having it at the throat the horse the rubs has a difficult time getting it off. This Miklem would come off fairly easily. I wonder if those bit or ring clips are plastic - red flag!

caseymyhorserocks 10-13-2012 11:34 PM

A friend bought one for one of her favorite lesson horses and he loved the bridle. Went much better in it, was more responsive, and happier.