The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   We have a possum in the barn! grr I really hate those nasty critters! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/we-have-possum-barn-grr-i-140138/)

Critter sitter 10-10-2012 02:57 PM

We have a possum in the barn! grr I really hate those nasty critters!

Barn Manager tells me this morning She needs a Possum killed! I guess on is in the barn. And got into her feed. My feed in in a closed bin behind a locked door. But the hay is over there by her feed and she thinks it has a "home" over there.
The BIL is going to come out there tonight to see if he can "grab" him I said WHAT????? he said if you grab them by the tail they can't bite you ... UMMM NO THANK YOU!!
I told him just to get a trap or a gun and kill the Nasty thing.
HELP
any ideas?

wetrain17 10-10-2012 03:00 PM

If he wants to grab him by the tail, I'd say let him have at it. Me? I'd trap it or sit with a rifle waiting for the little bugger to come out.

*This sounds like it will turn into an episode of "Call of the Wildman"

poppy1356 10-10-2012 03:07 PM

So odd I just got a text saying an opossum was caught in our barn today. Their poop can cause EPM so it's best to get rid of them.

Roperchick 10-10-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

*This sounds like it will turn into an episode of "Call of the Wildman"
Live Action! lol sorry i had to

but CS i would set out a trap or some poison...theyre MEAAAAAN

Critter sitter 10-10-2012 04:06 PM

I agree RC when he said that to me I was like Mouth on the floor... seriously though i think he was kidding about grabbing it...

We need this thing GONE..!!

Critter sitter 10-10-2012 04:11 PM

poppy I know that that is why i hate them so much.

Tarpan 10-10-2012 08:46 PM

If you do try to grab it, use gauntlet style leather gloves. I do not advocate doing this, but I personally have done it in the past. Possums are pretty docile, they're not carriers of rabies and other then being carriers of EPM they don't really do anything to hurt anyone. They just look gross. I'd rather pick up a possum by the tail then a feral cat!

Critter sitter 10-10-2012 09:54 PM

We are going to set a live trap He was just joking about grabbing it up by the tail . Hopefully he'll have the trap in a day or 2 and we'll have the beast in a few days
Posted via Mobile Device

fkcb1988 10-11-2012 01:21 AM

I now hate possumes! In highschool one dark morning I was waiting for the bus and heard a noise coming from right next to me where the trash can was sitting. Through the darkness I thought I saw a large kitty cat. I preceded to click to the kitty while being croutch over slowly walking toward it. As Im following this cat still clicking to it as it wattles away from me a car passes and lights up a BIG FAT BALD RAT TAILED POSSUME! I screamed and high tailed it back to the end of the driveway extremely creeped out. Thankfully my bus came up the hill to my rescue. Never was so happy to get on the bus!

I hate those little suckers Lol :D

oobiedoo 10-11-2012 02:28 AM

I used to have possums in my old barn. They fatten up very well off of cat food and love those plush round kitty beds : )