The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Speeding up? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/speeding-up-140150/)

BigBenLoverforLife 10-10-2012 06:11 PM

Speeding up?

So I have been doing a little eventing at home and plan to go to my first show in the spring and he is good at dressage and can jump 2'3 but in cross country, which we do in a field with the logs a such, he has a big problem with moving forward to try to make a good time. I think he does this because when we did EQ I made him slow down and stay collected. So how do I fix this without messing up his EQ training?

Then when I do get him going faster I cant slow him back down!!!

Thanks!

MyBoyPuck 10-10-2012 08:25 PM

I would first work on adjusting his stride in the safety of a ring. Set up two ground poles a good 6 or 7 strides apart. Then practice cantering over them getting 6 strides, then 7, then 6, etc. Really play with the throttle so to speak. If you can't get him listening to in the ring, I wouldn't even bother trying open spaces. Once you have his attention in the ring, if you have the opportunity to repeat the same exercise in an open field with poles, all the better. Otherwise, just go out and ask for the different stride lengths the exact same way you did it in the arena.

I don't know much about EQ, but if you want to do eventing, you need to be able to adjust your horse's stride to ride both safely and effectively.

BigBenLoverforLife 10-10-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1714228)
I would first work on adjusting his stride in the safety of a ring. Set up two ground poles a good 6 or 7 strides apart. Then practice cantering over them getting 6 strides, then 7, then 6, etc. Really play with the throttle so to speak. If you can't get him listening to in the ring, I wouldn't even bother trying open spaces. Once you have his attention in the ring, if you have the opportunity to repeat the same exercise in an open field with poles, all the better. Otherwise, just go out and ask for the different stride lengths the exact same way you did it in the arena.

I don't know much about EQ, but if you want to do eventing, you need to be able to adjust your horse's stride to ride both safely and effectively.

Thanks but he can adjust his stride quite well, he can speed up in a arena but just not out on the field!

princecharming 11-11-2012 12:13 PM

if you are jumping 2'3 crosscountry, then i am assuming you are going to go intro/baby beginner at your event? I think at that low of a level, you really dont need to worry about speed. If you can adjust your horses canter into a nice medium, forward canter, and keep it up, you will have no problem at into or even beginner novice.

I think your main problem is worrying about speed. if you have a big powerful canter you will do great!

please take this advice with a grain of salt. i started eventing last year, so my answer could be backwards and horribly wrong(: good luck!

BigBenLoverforLife 11-11-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princecharming (Post 1753250)
if you are jumping 2'3 crosscountry, then i am assuming you are going to go intro/baby beginner at your event? I think at that low of a level, you really dont need to worry about speed. If you can adjust your horses canter into a nice medium, forward canter, and keep it up, you will have no problem at into or even beginner novice.

I think your main problem is worrying about speed. if you have a big powerful canter you will do great!

please take this advice with a grain of salt. i started eventing last year, so my answer could be backwards and horribly wrong(: good luck!

Thank you! Your answers matched up perfect with what I asked my old trainer! Thanks!