The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Liability Insurance (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/liability-insurance-140151/)

Tessa7707 10-10-2012 06:28 PM

Liability Insurance

Wondering which insurance companies (for liability insurance plans) you have worked with and which you liked and didn't like. I'm the the US, California specifially.
If you don't mind sharing how much coverage you have and what your cost was, that would be helpful information as well.

Tessa7707 10-14-2012 01:40 PM

Bump? Anyone who teaches lessons and has insurance? Any positive or negative feedback on any companies? Got a quote from equisure for 2mil. independent instructor insurance- $750 a year. Is this reasonable? Is this a good company to work with?

Tessa7707 10-19-2012 12:26 AM

Well, since no one is posting :D I shall share what I have learned in case anyone else needs help. In California, by law, the minimum premium for liability insurance is $695 (per year) so anyone else who gives you a quote less than that isn't aware of CA law and your actual premium will be at least $695. Markel has been the most helpful so far, and I have called at least 10 different companies. Equisure was pretty nice to work with too, but Markel was more informative. Guided trail rides are the riskiest equine endeavors a horseman can participate in as far as insurance companies are concerned, and thus insurance premiums start at $3000. If trail riding is part of your instruction, however, it is not considered a 'guided trail ride', like me, I take my students out on trail as a reward and a chance to talk about lengthy topics. Also, I can only have up to two horses and riders per instructor. Any more than that and the insurance cost doubles. I've got my own personal thread going here, but I hope it helps someone else. :)

Muppetgirl 10-19-2012 12:42 AM

Haha I can't offer any info, but I will give you a sympathy reply:lol: it happens to all of us!:wink:

Tessa7707 10-19-2012 12:45 AM

Hahaha, thanks for the sympathy reply. lol. :D

WickedNag 10-19-2012 08:12 AM

I am not sure if anyone in SD carries any... this is in essence our law

This act stipulates that an equine sponsor, equine professional, doctor of veterinary medicine or any other person, is immune from liability for the death or injury of a participant, which resulted from the inherent risks of equine activities. However, there are exceptions to this rule: a person will be held liable for injuries of an equine activity participant if he or she displays a willful and wanton or intentional disregard for the safety of the participant and if he or she fails to make reasonable and prudent efforts in ensuring the safety of the participant. In addition, a person will also be held liable for the injury of an equine activity participant if he or she is injured on the land or at a facility due to a dangerous latent condition of which was known to the equine sponsor, professional or other person.