The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle with conflicting makers marks (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-conflicting-makers-marks-140179/)

hobbyz 10-10-2012 11:06 PM

Saddle with conflicting makers marks

Hi,
I am hoping to get some help on maybe identifying who made a saddle I have. Does anyone know anything about who would make a saddle with a latigo keeper, Cutter Bill insignia? I have googled every which way and found no info on any saddle that would have a label Cutter Bill. I did see a post on a blog from 2011 where someone was describing a saddle her sister had that was a Cutter Bill from the late 60's, but that has been the only indication that they even exist.
Then on the stirrup fenders it is stamped Calvin Allen. The fenders match the color of the skirt/jockey texture and color.
Any ideas so far?

Saddlebag 10-11-2012 02:23 PM

Cutter Bill would be the name of the model.

hobbyz 02-17-2013 11:36 PM

I finally found the answer

Cutter bill was made by Price McLaughlin and Cajun..according to another well known saddle maker I finally got to talk to. :)) Although she didn't know why they would have added the Calvin Allen stirrup fenders. Anyway, the saddle is gorgeous the way it is.

loveduffy 02-17-2013 11:41 PM

welcome to the forum it sound like the saddle was made by Price and Cajun and the name on the fender is a repair

DraftyAiresMum 02-17-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyz (Post 1899698)
:)) Although she didn't know why they would have added the Calvin Allen stirrup fenders. Anyway, the saddle is gorgeous the way it is.

Could be that the original fenders were damaged in an inreparable way and were replaced with fenders made by Calvin Allen. My Australian stock saddle bears no makers mark, but at some point the stirrup leathers were replaced with Syd Hills.
Posted via Mobile Device