The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   tractors!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/tractors-14020/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-28-2008 04:54 AM

tractors!!

just wondering what kind of tractor do you own or that you boarding stable uses?........we have a 930 case (1963) that works half the time

Kentucky 08-28-2008 10:00 AM

We own a John Deere 2355 (mid 1980's) it was made in West Germany. It is a by-product of the farming days.

farmpony84 08-28-2008 10:11 AM

we have a John Deere 4300

Dumas'_Grrrl 08-28-2008 10:31 AM

I just told my hubby last night that we need to beg, borrow or steal a tractor.... :lol:

I have some things that I would really like to get done out here. I have 3 steel posts that I want pulled out of the ground. ( they used to be part of a dog kennel for the last people that lived here)
I need a cedar tree pulled. and I would like to clean off the pen we have for the horses...We will be putting them out to a different pasture soon and I want to scrape up the ground of their pen and re-seed it. *sigh*

Anyone want to take a road trip on their tractor to Arkansas?!?!? :lol:

farmpony84 08-28-2008 11:01 AM

my dad paid for mine... I let him play with it for about a week and then i took it.... he paid for the dump truck too... see... he likes to park his "junk" on my property... works out, he parks it, I use it... I'm trying to get him to buy a golf cart.... You know, to go to the mail box and the river? and since he would already have one... i could conveniently take it to shows with me....

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-28-2008 05:21 PM

we have a golf cart but only use it about 1 week a year, my 82 year old father in law loves to jet around on our atv

3neighs 08-28-2008 07:19 PM

We have a 1940 International H. Still runs like a top. :P

Dumas, you poor thing! How do you mow pastures and spread manure?

farmpony84 08-29-2008 08:37 AM

you know dum... I feel pretty bad for you... life without a tractor... is... well... it's life without a tractor!

Dumas'_Grrrl 08-29-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3neighs

Well....we live on a 5000 acre cattle ranch (we don't own it...my hubby's boss does) We have been told for the last month that the mowers are comming. :roll: The horse have been grazed in our yard for most of the summer. ( we get shovel duty to pick up the poo out of the yard....Thankfully the horses tend to poo in the tall grass where we don't mow or they poo back in their pen)

I spread manure the old fashioned way...with a shovel! I go out every week or so and pick up the manure out of the 1 acre pen that the horses spend basically the night in. I then load it into the wagon we have that goes behind the 4 wheeler...thank GOD it has a dump bed. I then make a trip out on the land and spread out the manure. Its usually about 1-2 loads. If I keep up on it its obviously less work. This was our first year here with horses. I know that the owner has been short a few ranch hands and they run about 8-9 farms...this isn't the only one. This has been a monster year for hay...in a good way...but they just haven't had time to mow. They will before fall but we will have to do something else next year...this is way too labor intensive!!!

On the plus side I have one heck of a farmer tan! http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/cool/cool0021.gif

hotreddun 08-29-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumas'_Grrrl
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3neighs

Well....we live on a 5000 acre cattle ranch (we don't own it...my hubby's boss does) We have been told for the last month that the mowers are comming. :roll: The horse have been grazed in our yard for most of the summer. ( we get shovel duty to pick up the poo out of the yard....Thankfully the horses tend to poo in the tall grass where we don't mow or they poo back in their pen)

I spread manure the old fashioned way...with a shovel! I go out every week or so and pick up the manure out of the 1 acre pen that the horses spend basically the night in. I then load it into the wagon we have that goes behind the 4 wheeler...thank GOD it has a dump bed. I then make a trip out on the land and spread out the manure. Its usually about 1-2 loads. If I keep up on it its obviously less work. This was our first year here with horses. I know that the owner has been short a few ranch hands and they run about 8-9 farms...this isn't the only one. This has been a monster year for hay...in a good way...but they just haven't had time to mow. They will before fall but we will have to do something else next year...this is way too labor intensive!!!

On the plus side I have one heck of a farmer tan! http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/cool/cool0021.gif

aside from the 5000 acre ranch detail...we are in the same boat.

We just bought our property...8 acres...and we are tractor-less. Up to this point I have boarded my horse...so I (ok I'll be honest here...my husband) didn't know how much work this property would be. My husband takes our riding lawn mower...which has a little trailer behind it...picks up the poo...and goes and dumps it on the back of the property. We are looking at buying a tractor before Christmas because when the mower is working correctly it takes my husband a week to mow the whole property :lol: