The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-equipment/)
-   -   Indoor Riding Arenas (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-equipment/indoor-riding-arenas-140291/)

sinodacevera 10-12-2012 09:14 AM

Indoor Riding Arenas

I'm researching indoor riding arenas and am intrigued with the fabric covered arenas. They seem very light and airy but so far, a bit more expensive than metal pole building types. Not sure about durability and return on investment, although I have been told that metal buildings depreciate horribly after 5 yrs. anyway. We live in the Midwest and have received a quote from ClearSpan. Any input, anyone?

mls 10-12-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinodacevera (Post 1716351)
I have been told that metal buildings depreciate horribly after 5 yrs. anyway.

Who told you that? The Clearspan folks?

MangoRoX87 10-12-2012 10:33 AM

My metal barn is probably 20 years old and looks brand spanking new.
Posted via Mobile Device

nikelodeon79 10-12-2012 10:34 AM

Do you get snow in your area? If so, I wouldn't want something that's "light and airy."

sinodacevera 10-12-2012 12:10 PM

Indoor Riding Arenas

"Who told you that? The Clearspan folks?"
My brother is a real estate broker in Missouri, sells mostly farms, and he said that metal buildings don't appraise for much at all if over 5 yrs. old.

sinodacevera 10-12-2012 12:12 PM

I just spoke to a builder from Michigan, and they do engineer for wind and snow. I'm in Indiana (formerly Wisconsin) and the snow here is lighter.

nikelodeon79 10-12-2012 12:58 PM

I guess for me, I'd be more concerned with something that's going to keep out the wind and weather rather than resale value. Of course, I have no plans on selling my property, either.

MangoRoX87 10-12-2012 12:59 PM

Somebody on here has a Clear Span arena...

I've heard they are terrifying when the snow comes off of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 10-12-2012 01:10 PM

I'm in the hoosier state about 2 hours from the OP. My indoor is metal, it was put up by Farm Builders. It's almost 20 years old now, never had any problems. We've got fully insulated walls that are covered with with osb 12 ft high and the top has the clear corrugated inserts for light, and 16 ft sliding doors on all 4 sides - with the doors open in warm weather it's very airy. It also stays plenty warm in the winter - I ride in under armour leggings & top under jeans and a sweatshirt even in the worst part of winter.

sinodacevera 10-12-2012 02:03 PM

Indoor Riding Arenas

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1716580)
Somebody on here has a Clear Span arena...

I've heard they are terrifying when the snow comes off of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've heard that snow tends not to stick. Also, I've heard snow sliding off the roof of a metal building and that's pretty horrific. Don't know that there's a solution to that, other than being aware of the possibility with any building! :shock: