The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   what color? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/what-color-1403/)

prettypalfrey 04-02-2007 07:04 AM

what color?

Ok I am breeding my chestnut mare to a Palamino. I heard she had a chestnut last time, do you think that she would have a different color this time? Maybe it doesn't work that way. I know I won't get a black because two reds can only make red I hope I get a dun or palamino.

TxHorseMom 04-04-2007 02:27 AM

I'm not a color guru, but I believe you have a 50/50 chance of a sorrel or a palomino.

savepitbulls 04-04-2007 07:50 PM

What does the stallion usually throw? That might give you a better idea. My guess would be a dun but it all depends on genetics and I hated that class. :wink:

crackrider 04-10-2007 02:00 AM

A palomino and chestnut usually throw a palomino but this is not set in concrete and it could also be a chestnut.

Magic23143 05-03-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackrider
A palomino and chestnut usually throw a palomino but this is not set in concrete and it could also be a chestnut.

that is what i was thinking i thought palomino was a dominant color

TxHorseMom 05-07-2007 06:28 PM

Palomino is NOT a dominate color. There are only 3 true colors of horses. Black, bay, and Chestnut. You will still have a 50/50 chance of a palomino. You have a higher chance if you breed to a Perlino or Cremello. You could actually get a chestnut from 2 palominos. Below is a site that explains colors a little better. Horse color is very confusing. (at least to me it is! :shock: :D )

http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/fcmhs/A...RSE_COLOR.html

Magic23143 05-08-2007 10:44 AM

Yeah it is confusing to me too :? but thanks for the site it explaines it pretty good. :)

TxHorseMom 05-10-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic23143
Yeah it is confusing to me too :? but thanks for the site it explaines it pretty good. :)

Yes, that's why if I want a certain color I will just buy one already born. It's too hard (and expensive) to breed for a certain color. (and I'm a breeder!) Seems like you can never get what you're trying for. (or at least seldom get. :wink: )

~AUSSIE SHOWJUMPER~ 06-17-2007 10:42 PM

I would say a Chestnut!! Chestnuts are very dominate!! You would probally get a Chestnut wiht flaxen mane and tail!

Thisskyeishuman 06-18-2007 12:08 AM

Since both are recessive traits, I'm nearly positive that it will be a 50/50 shot for either color, chestnut (weather it be a sorrel chestnut or not) and palomino, but thats just my view.

ummm. do a punnet square, with two lowercase p's for palomino on the left and two lowercase c's on the top.
wait that won't work.

look at what the sire usually has, since the stud your mare was bred to to have the chesnut foal probably had the recessive chesnut gene too....

now I'm gonna stop before I utterly confuse my self.