The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Celiac Disease (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/celiac-disease-140313/)

nikelodeon79 10-12-2012 02:34 PM

Celiac Disease

Does anyone else here have Celiac Disease or a wheat/gluten allergy?

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in August of 2010. It was really difficult at first and I ended up eating nothing but rice and veggies for several weeks (lost 20 pounds, despite being pregnant at the time). Now it's like second nature figuring out what I can and can't eat.

I wish I hadn't figured it out... maybe I should go back on the rice & veggie diet so I lose 20 lbs again. :D

DancingArabian 10-12-2012 02:40 PM

I have neither but we eat gluten free a lot since my favorite crockpot recipe website eats gluten free because of her child.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lockwood 10-12-2012 02:58 PM

Yes. My son was officially diagnosed about 6 years ago, and shortly after I found out I was intolerant.
We are a gluten free household and there have been some really good discussions on here within the last year.

nikelodeon79 10-12-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1716718)
I have neither but we eat gluten free a lot since my favorite crockpot recipe website eats gluten free because of her child.
Posted via Mobile Device

Link please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockwood (Post 1716753)
Yes. My son was officially diagnosed about 6 years ago, and shortly after I found out I was intolerant.
We are a gluten free household and there have been some really good discussions on here within the last year.

I will have to do a search for them, thanks!

NorthernMama 10-12-2012 06:12 PM

I'm not, but my friend's daughter has Celiac disease. If you're ever looking for cookie recipes, look for German recipes. They often use ground nuts (especially almonds) and NO flour of any kind.

merle 10-12-2012 08:00 PM

Not for an allergy reason, but we are a grain-free household. I've been Paleo/Primal for about two years. What Is The Paleo Diet?

Wallaby 10-12-2012 08:32 PM

I'm at least gluten intolerant - I've been having issues for quite some time, got desperate and started eating gluten free. Voila, issues disappeared and a lot of other great things started happening (lost all of the bloating that was apparently going on and I had no idea - all my "problem" areas suddenly cleared up! And I suddenly had SO much more energy, etc. Like a miracle.) so I'm sticking with it.
Probably one day, I'll actually get tested but since the results of eating GF have been so good and since, after being GF for 3 weeks, eating any gluten at all causes major issues...I'll just stick with what I'm doing. haha

Anyhoo, GF for 3 weeks, yay! :lol:

Delfina 10-12-2012 11:57 PM

I have both faulty genes, so I *will* have it at some point in my life but for now, I do not. My Dr runs tests yearly to see if I have come up positive.

Several members of family turned up positive so since I have a chronic illness with the same symptoms, my Dr wanted me to have the genetic testing done.

natisha 10-13-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1717479)
I have both faulty genes, so I *will* have it at some point in my life but for now, I do not. My Dr runs tests yearly to see if I have come up positive.

Several members of family turned up positive so since I have a chronic illness with the same symptoms, my Dr wanted me to have the genetic testing done.

How are you tested for it, if you don't mind saying?

Delfina 10-14-2012 12:13 AM

There's a simple blood test that can be done. If that comes back negative (as it only tests to see if you have an active form of the disease) you can opt for genetic testing which is something like 10 tubes of blood? It's a lot, due to other issues I have, I am usually a bit anemic so when the lab managed to contaminate the lot of blood I gave, I had to wait a few weeks before the Dr okayed them re-taking the blood.

If you have the either of the faulty genes you technically *have* Celiac Disease but in an in-active state, you are fine eating gluten.

As another Chronic Illness I have (Ulcerative Colitis) has the same symptoms and I have a yearly colonoscopy, my Dr chooses to do an Upper Endoscopy at the same time to check for damage which would be done by Celiac Disease. Because I already have somewhat precarious health, it is vitally important that an active form of the Celiac Diseas be caught very quickly, which is the reason for the upper endoscopy. Other family members who do not have UC just have the blood test done. The only caveat is that you must be eating Gluten up until the test or the blood test will give off false results.