The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What is this Appaloosa coat pattern/color? :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-appaloosa-coat-pattern-color-140336/)

joseeandjade11 10-12-2012 04:27 PM

What is this Appaloosa coat pattern/color? :)

I have a 5 Year old Appaloosa X Quarter Horse. She doesn't have papers but im still interested in knowing her coat pattern and color. Nobody was really able to tell me her exact pattern. The sire is a registered pure tri-coloured near leopard appaloosa and the dam is a chestnut quarter horse. My guess is that Jade is either near leopard or spotted blanket.

Let me know what you think when you look at this horses coat color and pattern :) I can't wait to see your replies!

Here is the link to see the pictures
Jade pictures - saddlefittingpictures

Wallaby 10-12-2012 04:39 PM

I'd say she's definitely Vanish Roan. I'm not sure about the other factors that are there too, hopefully someone with more know-how will come along soon, but I'll bet on Varnish.

She's cute! :)

rbarlo32 10-12-2012 04:55 PM

I would put my money on bay blanket spotted and varnish roan.

BlueSpark 10-12-2012 05:39 PM

chesnut varnish roan with a spotted blanket. for sure.

rbarlo32 10-12-2012 05:49 PM

Just had another look you to chestnut and maybe sooty as well?

Ponies 10-12-2012 05:53 PM

Blanket?

Spotted 10-12-2012 08:20 PM

she is a chestnut with a blanket and spots, and has roaned since she grew up.
you can still register her if you want :)

joseeandjade11 10-12-2012 10:33 PM

Wow! Love to see different opinions on Jade's pattern and color :D I personally believe that she is chestnut color for sure (because if she was bay, i think she would need to have a black mane and tail) and as for her pattern well...im glad to see everyone's thoughts because it is pretty confusing :P
Id like to think she could be a chestnut varnish roan spotted blanket appy

And Spotted, i wish i could register her but only the sire is registered with papers, the dam doesn't have any papers at all. So i have read that both parents need to be registered to have Jade registered

NdAppy 10-13-2012 09:27 AM

You can have her registered... you would need to spay her first though.

joseeandjade11 10-13-2012 10:39 AM

Oh really..i thought the rules were that both parents needed to be registered...Getting her spayed is way out of what i could afford, we dont even have an equine clinic in the area where i live, I think the closest equine clinic would be around like 7 to 10 hours away, ouchh loll but getting her papers isn't that necessary i dont plan on doing shows, breeding or selling her. :) it just would have been nice to have them that' all ;)