The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How much have you gone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-much-have-you-gone-14034/)

Vidaloco 08-28-2008 02:10 PM

How much have you gone?

With summer nearing its end and many going back to school, work and general non-vacation busyness, I have a guestion.
Has the price of gas stopped you from doing as much as you normally would? We haven't gone anywhere this summer. The horse trailer has been loaded 3 times. Twice to the vet and once to a weekend ride for our wedding anniversary.
I enjoy riding at home but now with winter around the corner I feel we have really cut down on our "trail trips". The price of gas being the only reason.
How about you, feel like something was sort of missing this summer, did you do local "staycations"?

walkinthewalk 08-28-2008 03:11 PM

My trailer has only left the yard to go after shavings at Tractor Supply for the last 18 months.

Gas dropped in our area from $3.99 to $3.31, but that still isn't enough for me to haul, so I ride the roads and any local farms I am allowed on.

As I was replying to this question hubby called to say that, since we drove to work this morning, gas has gone up from $3.31/gal to $3.49/gal.

I am just sure the blame will be placed on Hurricane Gustav, even though it hasn't yet hit our Gulf Coast to interfere with the oil rigs---

iridehorses 08-28-2008 07:29 PM

I'm with you. I keep looking at the trailer and the new gelding thinking that I should load him up and take him on a ride other then right here. Then I start to think about how much a trip to the closest trail head will cost in gas and just take a ride around the farm or along the lake - again.

I've had just about enough of that so I think I'll splurge on a tank of gas and take a long trail ride this weekend.

(The one good thing that came from the gas crunch is that we didn't take the yearly 1500 mile 'round trip pilgrimage up to NY to visit my mother-in-law.)

claireauriga 08-28-2008 07:34 PM

Driving to the stables is expensive. It's ten or twelve miles each way and costs me 2.50 in fuel for the return journey!

3neighs 08-28-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses

(The one good thing that came from the gas crunch is that we didn't take the yearly 1500 mile 'round trip pilgrimage up to NY to visit my mother-in-law.)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...y-laughing.gif

We were pretty much grounded this summer as well. One good thing though is we kept our trips/vacations within Michigan and it was nice rediscovering areas of our state.

buckaroo2010 08-28-2008 08:31 PM

This summer I went to Fl for one week and that was when gas was like $4.00 a gallon and I didnt get to go trail riding at all this summer which is unsusual :? and only one horse show it was pretty sad summer I hope gas goes down soon so i can do more this fall :)

o0hawaiigirl0o 08-29-2008 12:02 AM

Well, the barn's only a little more then a 5 minute drive from my house, so it's not far at all. However, I have started going more often now that I have my own horse. I try to go whenever my mom is going out to bring my sister to work or do errands so that she can make the least amount of trips in the car. The same goes for picking me up.
There aren't much shows here and we don't trailer to places to ride, so we haven't trailered much at all this year.

Dumas'_Grrrl 08-29-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3neighs
Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...y-laughing.gif

We were pretty much grounded this summer as well. One good thing though is we kept our trips/vacations within Michigan and it was nice rediscovering areas of our state.

That cracked me up too!!!!!! We didn't make our usual Iowa road trip to see my parents this year....My hubby is the one that pointed that out to me!

We haven't gone and done much this summer either. In fact we have beed mastering the staycation! We spent much time at the creek this year!!! Since this is the last "weekend of summer" we are going to my hubby's cousin's house for a big bbq bash. We probably wouldn't be going if they wouldn't have just had a baby...we gotta see the baby!

farmpony84 08-29-2008 02:15 PM

Ri has been at the trainers since april but we went to lexington in march, VAHA was in april and may, Lexington w/out the horses in june, kellys ford in june, rosemont and then commonwealth in july... next month is rosemont and then statefair, there is another lexington comming up, don't know if we are going or not.......

I have no money... the gasman took it all.......

went to the bahamas in may and then va beach in july.... wanted one more bahamas trip but... no money... all gone....

kickshaw 08-30-2008 09:26 AM

i've actually traveled more this year. This is the first year I have had 2 horses AND a trailer and truck to take them somewhere. Mind you we stay very local, but I think the total is 16 trips so far this summer(??) Gas here was $3.44, but the labor day weekend has it jacked back up to $3.55.