The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Bay Roan? Or Brown Roan... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/bay-roan-brown-roan-140340/)

Foxesdontwearbowties 10-12-2012 05:56 PM

Bay Roan? Or Brown Roan...

3 Attachment(s)
Is there such a thing as brown roan?
I was looking at Bunny today and since she is losing a lot of her white hairs as her winter coat is growing in, and around where her black points should be as a bay, are more of the reddish brown color you see in brown horses.
Hopefully the pictures help, you can see the more brown color coming in on her shoulder.
Attachment 115046

Attachment 115047

Attachment 115048

NdAppy 10-12-2012 06:04 PM

Yes there is such a thing as a brown roan and IMPO you have a brown roan :-)

WickedNag 10-12-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1717032)

The AQHA is adding a lot of color choices when they update to their new software. Not sure if this is a color they are adding but they are adding the dunroan which is what my horse is. They have him registered now as a dun that exhibits the roan gene on his papers

Corporal 10-12-2012 06:50 PM

Lovely coloring!! Roans are really pretty, like yours. I noticed that the TB broodmare farm on my way home from work, has had a chestnut roan foal this year. Didn't even know that TB's could be roan--looker, none the less. =D

Foxesdontwearbowties 10-12-2012 07:05 PM

I can't wait to see what she looks like once she gets her full winter coat in. :D Will update with photos once that happens.

Foxesdontwearbowties 10-12-2012 07:06 PM

And thank you everyone. (:

Chiilaa 10-12-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 1717087)
Lovely coloring!! Roans are really pretty, like yours. I noticed that the TB broodmare farm on my way home from work, has had a chestnut roan foal this year. Didn't even know that TB's could be roan--looker, none the less. =D

Technically, TBs can't be roan, so either the foal is a crossbred, or it's not a roan.

There is one line of TBs that are roan, but all of them are within Australia.

Faceman 10-13-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1717032)

Haha...yeah, I would say she is positive proof if anyone had a doubt...:rofl:

Horseybex 10-14-2012 04:14 AM

I think she's bay roan...
the mane's brown in the first picture but it looks black in the last one and she's got black stockings on her legs, consistent with the bay colouring.
She looks a similar colour to a pony I ride who is bay roan too.

Foxesdontwearbowties 10-14-2012 06:25 AM

Horseybex: Her mane is Black, white, red and brown. :b I think thats due to the roaning though. Her tail is mostly all black. She does have black legs, but I saw another thread on here somewhere when the horse had black legs but the rest was more brown, with the tan. I'll try and find it, but everyone said he was brown. Thats what made me think it was more possible for her.