The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   EXTREME heat cycle... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/extreme-heat-cycle-140350/)

Equilove 10-12-2012 08:31 PM

EXTREME heat cycle...

The people who I keep my horses with just got a new horse about a month ago. The mare is a 17 year old spotted saddle horse. Her previous owner was a friend of mine and had her for almost ten years. She's ridden her all over the place and this mare is a good trail horse... but...

When she comes in heat, she becomes IMPOSSIBLE to work with. Anytime you ask her to move under saddle she stops and squirts. I've never seen anything like it. She gets pushy, unresponsive, and downright frustrating to handle. She's somewhat pushy on the ground anyway, which we're working on (but not as often as we should since I've been distracted with my 2 new horses lately), but when she's in heat, she won't let me touch her neck up close to her ears and she will get downright balky.

She is with 2 other mares, and she is not the dominant of the 3. She is in the middle. Whenever the dominant mare leaves, this mare will start squirting and going bonkers. Anytime you use leg pressure or ask her to move out, she squirts. I really think she is uncomfortable and I feel bad riding her when she's in heat, so we did some groundwork mostly today after a somewhat short ride. She's also had 2 foals, but it was a long time ago, if that matters. She also gets Mare Magic.

My question... is there some sort of way to stop this? She will not be bred again, and I think she is genuinely miserable when she's in heat. Her owners and I really want her to be comfortable and enjoy her job, not miserable like a chick on her period with bad cramps. Ladies, you know what I mean. They even talked about a hysterectomy but I'd imagine that's expensive since it's so invasive. Is there a shot, or...?

Ugh, mares!

Spotted 10-12-2012 08:43 PM

talk to the vet about Depopravera.( spelled that wrong) An injection people use for birth control.

wyominggrandma 10-12-2012 09:09 PM

They can also be spayed. Its not a hysterectomy, its removal of the overies only. Surgery can be done standing up in stocks through the vagina.
Runs about $1000, at least in Wyoming and states around there.

Wallaby 10-12-2012 09:35 PM

Have they tried Mare Magic (or bulk raspberry leaves - they're the same thing)?

It doesn't work for every horse but with my mare, who would get downright cray-cray in heat, I saw really amazing results.

Equilove 10-12-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1717162)
talk to the vet about Depopravera.( spelled that wrong) An injection people use for birth control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyominggrandma (Post 1717190)
They can also be spayed. Its not a hysterectomy, its removal of the overies only. Surgery can be done standing up in stocks through the vagina.
Runs about $1000, at least in Wyoming and states around there.

I'll mention both of these alternatives to her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 1717214)
Have they tried Mare Magic (or bulk raspberry leaves - they're the same thing)?

It doesn't work for every horse but with my mare, who would get downright cray-cray in heat, I saw really amazing results.

As mentioned in the OP, she does get Mare Magic... if she is "better" on it then I would HATE to see how she is otherwise! Lol

Wallaby 10-12-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilove (Post 1717216)

As mentioned in the OP, she does get Mare Magic... if she is "better" on it then I would HATE to see how she is otherwise! Lol

Oops! :oops:
True story! :shock:

Muppetgirl 10-12-2012 10:57 PM

When they come into season like that....I just walk away.....just end up with both of you being pissed off with one another.....kind of like people!!

We had a mare at the track who was outright deadly! If you touched her ANYWHERE she would try to lay on you. My boss nearly got all her ribs broken and heaven knows what else when she walked in the crosstie to saddle the mare, when she touched its side it just stepped over and layed on her and pinned her against the concrete wall....needless to say she wasn't crosstied while In season anymore.......

Depending on how long her 'time' is, I'd just turn her out and leave her be until she gets her senses back:lol:

Strawberry4Me 10-12-2012 11:07 PM

There are a few mares in my barn like that. Ever tried Regumate? It's expensive but it works.

Also, my mare hardly ever shows signs of being in estrus. BUT the few times she has had intense cycles, I have given her bute. Just for a few days when the cycle is at its peak. It makes her more comfortable and in turn also makes her calmer and freindlier. Just like a female human, ovulating and menstruating can be painful. The last thing you want is someone sitting on your back, putting pressure on areas that are already sore. Or even telling you what to do without getting on you. I know personally, I just want to be left alone. Give me some tylenol and a BIG cup of coffee, then MAYBE we can talk. MAYBE.

Equilove 10-12-2012 11:31 PM

Yeah I think you guys are right. One week a month we should just let her be. Obviously it's uncomfortable for her so at least in that aspect, we can help her. As far as making it better on her otherwise, I will research the drugs you guys mentioned. I know we used to give Regumate to the broodmares that had just had their foals weaned off of them at the TB farm I worked at, but I never really knew exactly what it was for. I'll do a bit of research tonight and then give the info to the owners tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the suggestions you guys! I know her "parents" will appreciate anything that will make her more comfortable ;)

Equilove 10-12-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1717331)
We had a mare at the track who was outright deadly! If you touched her ANYWHERE she would try to lay on you. My boss nearly got all her ribs broken and heaven knows what else when she walked in the crosstie to saddle the mare, when she touched its side it just stepped over and layed on her and pinned her against the concrete wall....needless to say she wasn't crosstied while In season anymore......

That really stinks, but I wonder if them being in season makes them move into pressure? That's what this gal does... if I ask her to move her hip over, she either holds still or moves it TOWARD me. Interesting!