The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   clacking hooves (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/clacking-hooves-140362/)

Dead Rabbit 10-12-2012 09:49 PM

clacking hooves

what does it mean when your horse clacks her hooves while trail riding? this happens rarely on flat ground, sometimes going up hill and quite a bit going down hill.

is there any certain reason for this?

additional info: its a TWH.

Spotted 10-12-2012 09:52 PM

over reaching, I'm guessing. is she trimmed properly. IDK just guessing. curious to see what others post.

Dead Rabbit 10-12-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1717319)
over reaching, I'm guessing. is she trimmed properly. IDK just guessing. curious to see what others post.

yes her feet are well maintained.

i was told by an old timer, what it meant. but from my inexperienced point of view, what he said was "hocus pocus" type reasonings. even though i generally trust what he says. hes a very old school walking horse man. so im curious as to what others say about this before i repeat what i was told. thanks for replying.

kstinson 10-12-2012 11:23 PM

my mare does this on any surface when she is being lazy, actually most of our TWH's do it.:) When she dog walks she is more swingy in the back end and tends to hit her back hoof on her front one before she lifts it and moves if forwards. She also does this if she needs a trim, but if she needs and trim and is doing this she is also trippy at a faster speed too. It probably means that your horse has a decent back end because the ones who dont dont tend to swing their back legs far enough forward to run into the problem.

Try waking him up first and asking for speed, if he wakes up and you go back down to a flat walk and while he is alter he still does it, he likely needs a trim.

Guilherme 10-13-2012 09:36 AM

Without seeing the horse, the feet, and the movement it's impossible to make a call on either causation or cure.

G.

Dead Rabbit 10-13-2012 09:44 AM

G. i'll take pics of her feet. video of movement will be a problem.

btw. i like that word. "causation" ,,, very nice. im a word type of fella.

LadyDreamer 10-13-2012 06:25 PM

Which feet are clacking? Back hitting front? Front hitting front?

Quick fix for protection would be to put bell or quarter boots on to protect the heels and prevent them from stepping on and pulling off a front shoe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dead Rabbit 10-13-2012 07:15 PM

far as i can tell its coming from the rear feet. but they may be hitting the front when overstepping. i dont know.

im surprised not more have heard this in their own horse.

LadyDreamer 10-13-2012 07:31 PM

Back feet hitting back feet? Is he built really close behind?

Usually when I hear them clipping their feet it is from the rear feet hitting the front.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dead Rabbit 10-13-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDreamer (Post 1718150)
Back feet hitting back feet? Is he built really close behind?

Usually when I hear them clipping their feet it is from the rear feet hitting the front.
Posted via Mobile Device

no shes not built close at all.
could very well be the rears hitting the fronts. i'll have ask my riding buddy what he sees. hes the one that gave me a reason for why they do this. im just waiting for more responces before i repeat what i was told.

so when you hear the "clipping" whats causing the rears to hit the front?