The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   6 months later: do you see improvement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/6-months-later-do-you-see-140365/)

horselessmom 10-12-2012 11:02 PM

6 months later: do you see improvement?

Horseless mom strikes again! :lol:

I'm training myself to get better in understanding of what a good riding posture means, and you've all been such a great help in getting me focused on the right things. :D

I think she has less of a chair seat and her posting seems less jerky. I don't see any difference in her hands, and she doesn't have her thumbs up. What else I should be noticing? (Oh, I do know of heels down, but the trainer is okay with how her heels are for now and says a better position will come with more strength. It is an eventing barn, if this makes a difference.)

Could you please tell me on what points she improved, what needs more work, and what is the order in which you'd approach the skills?

For example, her trainer used to tell her to have her thumbs up multiple times per lesson, but then stopped doing so, and my daughter thinks that she must have improved (while I don't see a big difference?). I wonder if the trainer gave up, or my daughter did improve, or maybe the trainer is focusing on something else now, and will focus on the hands later?

Thanks!

Oxer 10-12-2012 11:35 PM

i can tell that she's posting off her hands. Although that will end once she's balanced and gets the body mechanics down. Were she my student, i'd get her to sit that wee butt in the saddle. In my opinion she shouldn't be riding in half seat at the canter, which really is only a half seat because she's standing in her irons. She should be learning the body mechanics of how to properly sit the canter, and then a half seat canter should come later. I believe that most trainers begin people jumping too soon in an effort to keep them excited and interested in the program. While i can appreciate this business model, it's not always the most beneficial for the client.
Anyway... i think she looks great. She's becoming balanced, and is quite brave. Good for her!

MyBoyPuck 10-13-2012 12:09 AM

I didn't see her prior videos. Before she got to this stage of riding, did her instructor do any work with her on a longe line without reins? When she first started to canter, did she learn how to do it in a full seat before learning half seat?

So you don't drive yourself nuts wondering if she's making progess, know that riding is a constant learning curve, and every single instructor teaches differently. It can be really maddening.

Your daughter has a nice position. Her hands are quiet, her back is flat, she's looking ahead. She appears to be learning good basics. I would also like to see her sitting the canter before jumping, but as I said before, everyone teaches differently. As long as your daughter is progressing in her riding and not feeling overfaced, she's most likely in good hands.

Ashsunnyeventer 10-13-2012 12:54 AM

Her hands look 100 times better in the October video. Apart form that, I don't see too much improvement. I don't think she is ready to be jumping at all. I couldn't tell if she was trying to sit the canter or stand, but either way, it needs work before she jumps. I was taught standing position in the canter first because it puts all your weight in your heels. As for her hands, Whenever I would get "piano fingers" my instructor would make me put a crop under my thumbs and ride the whole lesson like that. It fixed the problem though. While her hands are quiet, she needs to open her inside rein to bend the horse to the inside int he turns. it helps him look where he is going. Honestly, at this level of riding, 6 months isn't a enough time for any major improvement for most people.

tinyliny 10-13-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 1717372)
i can tell that she's posting off her hands. Although that will end once she's balanced and gets the body mechanics down. Were she my student, i'd get her to sit that wee butt in the saddle. In my opinion she shouldn't be riding in half seat at the canter, which really is only a half seat because she's standing in her irons. She should be learning the body mechanics of how to properly sit the canter, and then a half seat canter should come later. I believe that most trainers begin people jumping too soon in an effort to keep them excited and interested in the program. While i can appreciate this business model, it's not always the most beneficial for the client.
Anyway... i think she looks great. She's becoming balanced, and is quite brave. Good for her!

I second every word here.

uflrh9y 10-13-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Yep, I agree. I don't know much about jumping, but I am surprised that they teach people to jump so soon as well. I would have thought that jumping would only happen after a rider had their form, balance, collection, and everything on the flat down pat at W/T/C/HG.

She is very brave and I think she looks like a lot more confident and secure in Oct.

horselessmom 10-13-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Thanks! As long as there's some improvement, I'm happy.

I checked out several other places around that we can drive too, and I really didn't like them. Besides, she doesn't want to be in a Hunter barn. I wish the instructor were more particular, but I don't want to be pushy either, because of our lack of options.

horselessmom 10-13-2012 02:05 PM

Oh, what does posting off her hands mean? Thanks!

horselessmom 10-13-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1717421)
I didn't see her prior videos. Before she got to this stage of riding, did her instructor do any work with her on a longe line without reins? When she first started to canter, did she learn how to do it in a full seat before learning half seat?

So you don't drive yourself nuts wondering if she's making progess, know that riding is a constant learning curve, and every single instructor teaches differently. It can be really maddening.

Your daughter has a nice position. Her hands are quiet, her back is flat, she's looking ahead. She appears to be learning good basics. I would also like to see her sitting the canter before jumping, but as I said before, everyone teaches differently. As long as your daughter is progressing in her riding and not feeling overfaced, she's most likely in good hands.

Thank you for your reply. All I really want for her is to learn good basics, but it seems impossible to get any kind of a unified opinion on whether she's getting the good basics! :lol: I can see that she's progressing in terms of how much she can do and her confidence level. What I can't really see myself is the "basics" and whether she's getting into any "bad" habits."

FWIW, there are two video clips in the video that I posted, one from 6 months ago (it says April 2012 at the bottom), and the other from her last lesson (October).

To answer your questions: She spent about 8 lessons on the longe line without the reins. She wasn`t started with the full seat canter--she`s been instructed to do it in 2-point, 99% of the time. She is asked to do the seated canter for only a couple of minutes each lesson.

It does seem clear that everyone teaches differently, but so far I haven't really encountered an opinion that her trainer's way is good one, which worries me a little. I did try talking to her about maybe my daughter was jumping too early, but the trainer believes that she isn't, and I can't have a qualified opinion on that myself.

I guess I'd feel more secure if someone here agreed with her trainer :lol:, but obviously I want honest opinions so that I can remain objective and continue to learn about it all and try to figure out the "right" way.

horselessmom 10-13-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashsunnyeventer (Post 1717471)
Her hands look 100 times better in the October video. Apart form that, I don't see too much improvement. I don't think she is ready to be jumping at all. I couldn't tell if she was trying to sit the canter or stand, but either way, it needs work before she jumps. I was taught standing position in the canter first because it puts all your weight in your heels. As for her hands, Whenever I would get "piano fingers" my instructor would make me put a crop under my thumbs and ride the whole lesson like that. It fixed the problem though. While her hands are quiet, she needs to open her inside rein to bend the horse to the inside int he turns. it helps him look where he is going. Honestly, at this level of riding, 6 months isn't a enough time for any major improvement for most people.

Thanks! Well, at least her hands are better. :D

She's instructed to canter in 2-point.

I wish her instructor did the crop exercise with her.