The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Bruised Hooves?!?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/bruised-hooves-140369/)

The Northwest Cowgirl 10-12-2012 10:24 PM

Bruised Hooves?!?!?!

Help!
My horses hooves are bruised!!
What could have caused it? What should I do??
I'm not going to ride until it heals up, and I'm getting a farrier out here to take a look! His hooves need trimming, but they're not horribly long. Could that be it?? Should I wait to get them trimmed? They got bruised like this last year, but in different spots and it was from the frozen ground and was more in January.. I took him to a vet then and he said just to let him rest and it'd go away. It cleared up within a week, but I'm pretty sure it's not the same thing. I haven't changed anything about his riding or feed, other than I started feeding him a little bit of grain everyday now that it's getting cold. It's not nearly as cold as in was last January though! Its really weird how its bruised, it's like only the left sides of both back hooves are bruised, nothing on the right sides of the hooves or his front feet!
I can post pics if you think it would help!
Thanks!!

The Northwest Cowgirl 10-13-2012 11:36 AM

Bumppp!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Shoebox 10-13-2012 02:12 PM

Can you post some pictures?

Spotted 10-13-2012 02:54 PM

Are they white hooves with pink color bruising?

Missy May 10-13-2012 04:12 PM

If they are white bruising will show up, meaning it is more common than you think but is not seen in black hooves (so the vet told me). My mares hooves bruised when she went from pasture to rocky ground, although she had been on rocky ground prior to being in pasture since she was a filly. She needed a trim, too...but not a "major trim". Is there any rocks in his pasture, any streams he could have "slipped" on slick rocks...or something of that nature?

The Northwest Cowgirl 10-13-2012 04:19 PM

Yes there is.. It's very rocky up here. We just moved here, but he's had nothing like this for the past 2 months that he's been here. Thank you for tell me that though, i'm not freaking out as much now!:p
His hooves are white. I'll try to post some pics asap, i'm on the mobile version and can't... Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

The Northwest Cowgirl 10-13-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1717911)
Are they white hooves with pink color bruising?

The bruises are a dark purple.. Almost black!
It's really scary, and if you can't tell, i'm kind of freaking out about it...:(
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 10-13-2012 05:05 PM

You should google hoof bruising and learn more about it. It certainly does LOOK scary and pitiful when they're hopping around, but it can and does happen - on some horses more than others.

I just googled it real quick and here's the first article I found: Hoof Bruises

It's probably the ground - if he's not used to rocks he'll be tender footed for a while. Lots of horses are.

Bruises can turn into abscesses. Hoof bruises are sort of like the same type of bruise you'd get if you get hit real hard by something. An abscess is when there's an infection in the area. Again, also scary and pitiful to see, but they do pass. Here's an article on abscesses: Hoof Abscesses and Puncture Wounds - HorseChannel.com

If you're already had the vet out, they might give you some bute, which is an anti-inflammatory and may help. Soaking the feet in an epsom salt soak 2-3 times per day for 15-20 minutes at a time will probably help your horse feel better.

The Northwest Cowgirl 10-13-2012 05:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, here's pics!!
I just sprayed off his feet, so that's why they look wet.

The Northwest Cowgirl 10-13-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1718010)
You should google hoof bruising and learn more about it. It certainly does LOOK scary and pitiful when they're hopping around, but it can and does happen - on some horses more than others.

I just googled it real quick and here's the first article I found: Hoof Bruises

It's probably the ground - if he's not used to rocks he'll be tender footed for a while. Lots of horses are.

Bruises can turn into abscesses. Hoof bruises are sort of like the same type of bruise you'd get if you get hit real hard by something. An abscess is when there's an infection in the area. Again, also scary and pitiful to see, but they do pass. Here's an article on abscesses: Hoof Abscesses and Puncture Wounds - HorseChannel.com

If you're already had the vet out, they might give you some bute, which is an anti-inflammatory and may help. Soaking the feet in an epsom salt soak 2-3 times per day for 15-20 minutes at a time will probably help your horse feel better.

Thank you!