The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Would you bring this up with the yard owner? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/would-you-bring-up-yard-owner-140381/)

ElaineLighten 10-13-2012 09:00 AM

Would you bring this up with the yard owner?

I've recently started a new group lesson at the riding school, the first week was just me, the second week there were two of us, and this week there were four. The trouble is, the yard owner has created this group at the same time as her son has his lesson with two of his friends.
And let's just sat I call them the brat patrol. (Because they are the most horrible, obnoxious, obvious private schooled kids I've ever had the displeasure to meet).

There are 2 arenas, a small outdoor and a larger indoor. The outdoor arena is roughly 10mx20m, and the indoor 15mx30m.
The first lesson where I was by myself I got sent outside in the rain. Ok, fair enough, one of me, three of them.
Second lesson where there were two of us we were out in the rain again. Again, a little annoying, but ok, nothing we can do about it.

This week there were four riders in my group. There were only 2 in the brat patrol. I thought, brilliant, we'll have the indoor school to ourselves!
Then mummy came in with that smile. The smile that says "I have the power and there's nothing you can do about it". The bad news smile.
They split the indoor school in half using blocks and poles. So there were the 2 brats in a 15mx15m space, and FOUR in a 15mx15m space. With an empty outdoor arena. Yes it was raining, but I rode in it the past two weeks, why can't they?!
Doesn't that sound like a fair situation? NOT.

I don't see why the yard owner has even bothered making this new group when her son seems to always get the special treatment and claim of the indoor school. Surely the paying customer should get priority? Her son can have his lesson any god **** day, they live on the site!

Do you think I'm over reacting? This group can get up to 8 people. 8 horses in a 15mx15m space is not going to work. How will anyone learn anything?
Do you think, if the same situation arises on Tuesday (the lesson day), I should bring it up with the yard owner? Maybe I should get other people from the group to talk to her with me? (only if they agree of course). And if she says "it's tough, that's the way it is", request to move to a different group? (This one is perfect for my riding level though, all the others are too high a level!)

It's such a shame, I really like the instructor, I love the horses, and I like the other people in the group. I don't want to leave this yard, and I don't want to leave this group, but I can't afford weekly private lessons.

Would you bring this issue up?

Speed Racer 10-13-2012 09:53 AM

Since it's bothering you, yes. However, be prepared to find other training arrangements, because it sounds as if Mumsy knows she's being preferential to Brat Spawn, which means she obviously doesn't care if her PAYING clients get the short end of the stick.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 10-13-2012 02:16 PM

agree 100% with speed_racer

DancingArabian 10-13-2012 06:18 PM

You could also bring it up to the trainer if you're concerned about talking to the yard owner directly. Maybe get a few of your group together and all say something.

ElaineLighten 10-14-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1718023)
You could also bring it up to the trainer if you're concerned about talking to the yard owner directly. Maybe get a few of your group together and all say something.

That's a great idea actually.
I'd be much more comfortable talking to him than the yard owner.
If it happens again on Tuesday I will say at the start, and ask if anyone else agrees.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I don't want to feel like I'm making a big deal out of it, but when I'm paying for it out of my own pocket...

alexischristina 10-15-2012 02:24 AM

In my opinion it isn't a big deal to ride outside in the rain or have to share an arena, toughens you up and helps you learn the rules of the ring. In fact both of those options are pretty standard where I am...

AlexS 10-15-2012 02:59 AM

I guess your yard owner is having others on her property for pocket money rather than her main income - so her son is more important to her.

Yes talk to her, but don't expect her to change. If she does not change, then change the groups riding day.

EvilHorseOfDoom 10-15-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 1719604)
In my opinion it isn't a big deal to ride outside in the rain or have to share an arena, toughens you up and helps you learn the rules of the ring. In fact both of those options are pretty standard where I am...

True, but it can be very frustrating if you have to do it week after week - really hard to work on leg yielding, canter work, extension etc in a small space. Fine for every once in a while but will hold everyone back if it's all the time.

Samstead 10-20-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilHorseOfDoom (Post 1719656)
True, but it can be very frustrating if you have to do it week after week - really hard to work on leg yielding, canter work, extension etc in a small space. Fine for every once in a while but will hold everyone back if it's all the time.

So true riding with 2 other people doing another lesson, on other doing their own thing and then me in my lesson = chaos. Especially when the other lesson is doing a gymnastic that covers the entire arena there as a alot of standing still out of the way

Saskia 10-24-2012 10:09 AM

I think riding in an area that size is dangerous for inexperienced riders. Are you sure the arena is 20x10m? That is tiny. That is not even an arena. You couldn't even lunge a horse safely in that. That shouldn't be a riding area. Here, the smallest standard sized arena would be about 20x40m.

I really think you should move elsewhere.