The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ways to go about training..?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Spotted 
#1 ·
alright.. my boss has.. 3 stud colts.. I THINK she is gelding them.. Im pretty sure..I am training them the basics..halter breaking.. leading... trailering.. picking up feet.. you know all the ground work..

Now saying I go about training as if they were going to stay a stud.. for the rest of there lives... what are some 'extra' things they need to know?

should I.. take them on walks, so they behave by horses they dont know?( my moms friend did this with her stud colt.. and he would start to dangle his precious cargo.. and she would wack it.. now he can be walking by mares and he is like a gelding...)

um I cant really think of anything else that I could do differently that I dont really do with my filly... any one else have any ideas?:lol:

thanks

anything is appreciated

#3 ·
Train them everything they need to know to be good horse citizens. The biggest problem I've run across with studs is that too many people go "oh he's a stallion. You can't train stallions", which is absolutely not true and then people end up with a half wild creature!

Be sure to be respectful that he IS a stallion, and ruled by hormones, so don't let yourself get hurt and don't try to do more than you can realistically handle. I don't know how old/big they are so I won't offer specifics on behavior around other horses.

#4 ·
EthanQ: not like wacking with a 2x4.. like a little flick.. lol.. and saying PUT THAT away.. getting him to be calm and know he ISNT breeding

and DancingArabian this is one of them.. yea.. he IS halter broke.. and he is about 18 months old right now:) he is a Percheron/Belguin cross..

#5 ·
I'd say just make sure, if they aren't gelded, to establish dominance over them because their natural instinct is to be "pack leader." As for being around other horses I'd keep him very well socialized, when around other horses let him sniff them but if he tries to establish his dominance whack him. Of course only after you've established that you're the boss. :) Hope I was helpful!

#6 ·
I think she is going to geld them.. since they arent really... say to speak.. desireable..

but the just In case.. I didnt know.. Ive never trained a stud.. if you had to go about it differently:)

#7 ·
When working with them or any other horse, demand that the attention is on you and not whats going on around you. You can use the word "manners" for instance, and get them doing something that requires your attention and good behavior. Act like the other horses are nothing and you are the important one. They socialize on your command.
Just my thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.