The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding in weather/ worse riding weather youve rode in:) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-weather-worse-riding-weather-youve-140424/)

barrelbeginner 10-13-2012 05:59 PM

Riding in weather/ worse riding weather youve rode in:)

ugh.. I really have the urge to go for a little ride right now. but.. its crappy outside..its a little windy and rained this morning.. but the sun is out..

do you ever find yourself on the line *shouldnt ride, but I want to.. soo I think Im going to*

AND.. what is the worst weather you have rode in? Ill share one..

okay.. it was a saturday I believe.. I decided I would work with Sunny a little bit.. that was when he was REALLY green.. SO I did.. of course..

we had a good ride.. until the end.. it started to get REALLY WINDY.. so windy.. I thought I was going to go for a fly:lol:.. I got off.. put Sunny away.. threw my tack in the shed.. and I was was walking inside.. with leaves blowing and my hair blowing in my face.. I noticed.. a ...... funnel cloud..:shock:

great day to go for a ride .. huh.. good thing.. I just rode around the house:) hehe

The funnel cloud.. hit the ground.. for about 15 seconds.. as I was crying LOL.. then went straight back up:)

now share yours:)

BubblesBlue 10-13-2012 06:03 PM

Wind? You think that's the worst? :lol:
I say teh worst I have ridden in is a downpour rain or a snow storm. Whenever we are weaning our calves, it is during the time when all of the winter storms show up so it's never above 40 degrees and it is always windy with rain/snow beating at our backs.
It shows if our long underwear is good or not. xD

Darrin 10-13-2012 10:58 PM

Worst I've ridden in was on the coast and wind was so bad that the rain was blowing sideways. It was gusting up to 60mph and those drops HURT when they hit exposed skin. If I hadn't just spend 1.5hrs trailering to the coast I wouldnt of rode. As it was, it wasn't nearly as long of a ride as normal when riding at the coast.

EvilHorseOfDoom 10-13-2012 11:05 PM

Thunderstorm. Not for very long...

Canterklutz 10-13-2012 11:28 PM

It always rains where I am so we're used to it. Got caught in a hailstorm in the middle of a jumper class once...while wearing a short sleeved shirt. It hurt so bad and both the horse and I were covered in welts at the end of our round. :-(

Paintlover1965 10-13-2012 11:34 PM

I've ridden in many inclement weather situations. A few years ago there was a summer storm fast approaching, I am usually pretty good at determining how long I have before the rain hits. So, I thought I had time for a quick ride. To save valuable time, I rode my horse Joey with only a bareback pad. Bad decision! The wind came up so fast. I wasn't even 5 minutes from the barn and I was bombarded by flying objects all around me, like anything that wasn't nailed down! Joey didn't particularly like the patio umbrellas flying by. It was so scary how things went bad so fast. I just thought it was just going to be one of the many run of the mill downpours when I later found out a stage had collapsed at a well known concert venue due to the high winds and people were sent scrambling, some were injured and had to be hospitalized. Thankfully, Joey and I were uninjured but it sure scared the "you know what" out of me.

SaddleStrings 10-13-2012 11:56 PM

The worst I attempted to ride in was a thunderstorm, that was last summer after I first got my new mare. I knew the storm was heading my way but, I thought I could squeeze in a little ride. Well, it started to thunder and sprinkle rain just as I saddled up, thought hey, a little rain never hurt anyone. Got about 15 minutes into my ride, when it started to become windy, rain came down harder, and to make it worse, lightening and hail! My girl was such a champ through all this!

My really awesome next door neighbor came to my rescue by letting me use his indoor arena. He laughed and said, you really should of just come over here in the first place if you wanted to ride. He then said I was more than welcomed to ride in his indoor anytime I wanted. So it worked out nice. :D

I also have rode during a white out snow storm, my horse and I looked like snowmen when we returned to the barn. My mom told me I was crazy! Lol!

waresbear 10-14-2012 12:11 AM

Hail wind storm during a horse show. I was soaked to the core & covered in welts in the 5 minutes it took to take cover in the trailer, me & the horse! Then once inside the trailer, the hail hitting the roof was deafening, horse was calm though, glad to be out of that mess, I was too, but I wished I had a towel.
Posted via Mobile Device

boldstart 10-14-2012 02:01 AM

Ride in everything.

Those pesky racehorses gotta be worked no matter what!!

ElaineLighten 10-14-2012 08:55 AM

Luckily in England we don't get any extreme tornadoes or earthquakes...the ones we do get are so small and rare barely anybody notices them. I'm 21 and haven't experienced either!

So the worst weather I've ridden in would have to be hailstones (halfway through a lesson) :lol: Poor ponies