The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/help-140447/)

Muppetgirl 10-13-2012 11:47 PM

Help!

Hey, I've made some kind of mistake with my horses spin! I don't know what I did, but I am experiencing the results!!!!
My guy is a finished reiner (been shown, very willing and happy, sensitive), so he knows what to do....he USED to spin real nice, smooth.

Now....for some reason he is moving his back end too much....he's not covering ground and moving across the arena, but I can feel it moving around back there and don't really know what to do to correct it and what NOT to do to ensure this doesn't happen again! Aaaaaggggghhhh!!!!!!

What makes a good spinner start doing this? And what can I do to correct it?
I always start with forward motion and as soon as he's moving I lower the reins down to his wither and let him spin....sigh......tricky stuff!!!!

Help???

Spotted 10-13-2012 11:57 PM

hmmmm no clue, good post:):)

Muppetgirl 10-14-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1718445)
hmmmm no clue, good post:):)

Thanks Spotted! I have been wondering what the heck he's doing back there!! It's me I know it!!!
I'm doing some strange or very wrong thing.....

Spotted 10-14-2012 12:12 AM

Are you able to video yourself??

Muppetgirl 10-14-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1718465)
Are you able to video yourself??

I've thought about it......maybe I will take the camcorder to the barn on Monday.....ugh, don't want to see!!!

shmurmer4 10-14-2012 11:56 PM

It sounds like he is bottle spinning, You can back him into it (just watch his shoulder and make sure he doesn't step under, if he does, kick him out of the turn and drive him forward into the bridle and do it again), or pass him in a circle and then pull him down into it, there are a few other ways

CLaPorte432 10-14-2012 11:58 PM

You dont want to back into a spin. A spin is a forward movement, not backwards.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 10-15-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmurmer4 (Post 1719529)
It sounds like he is bottle spinning, You can back him into it (just watch his shoulder and make sure he doesn't step under, if he does, kick him out of the turn and drive him forward into the bridle and do it again), or pass him in a circle and then pull him down into it, there are a few other ways

Thankyou! Yes I was thinking of passing him in to see if he will start engaging that hip again. He has not been a horse to drive that pivot leg down and keep it there, but he did spin without 'bottle spinning' like you say (thanks, now I know how to describe it) I've been told not to back them into a spin, but I've thought about it to get that back end down and engaged....

Other thoughts?

shmurmer4 10-15-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1719533)
You dont want to back into a spin. A spin is a forward movement, not backwards.
Posted via Mobile Device

We all know that, that's for horses who don't know the basics. but there are tricks, and if you're smart about it you certainly can. If you do it incorrectly, and don't watch the front shoulder or let them suck too far back it can lead to problems...

shmurmer4 10-15-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1719537)
Thankyou! Yes I was thinking of passing him in to see if he will start engaging that hip again. He has not been a horse to drive that pivot leg down and keep it there, but he did spin without 'bottle spinning' like you say (thanks, now I know how to describe it) I've been told not to back them into a spin, but I've thought about it to get that back end down and engaged....

Other thoughts?

It's also referred to as turning like a confused tornado, that's the rated G version. :)