The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   can't get rid of fleas (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/cant-get-rid-fleas-140462/)

NorthernMama 10-14-2012 09:20 AM

can't get rid of fleas

So about 8 weeks ago our dog came home from a friend's house with fleas. We have since bathed him twice and purchased flea spray which I've used twice on him. Every time he is bathed or sprayed, everything in the house he could possibly touch is washed. I'm at a loss.

Would a professional bath help? What else can I do? He's a long haired dog: border collie x aussie shepherd.

cakemom 10-14-2012 09:34 AM

Need to give capstar and put advantage or frontline on the pup after a bath with flea shampoo where he's allowed to soak. While that's going on, sprinkle the carpets with borax and let it sit overnight. Spray all couches with spray that has precor in it. Treat the yards with 7 dust and vacuum the carpet and throw the bag away. Then in 3 weeks I'd start the dog on comfortis.
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthernMama 10-14-2012 05:04 PM

Capstar? What's that? And Comfortis? Never heard of that either.

I hate to do another bath, but I think I will have to. Poor dog. I haven't yet done the spot treatments only because I didn't think they actually work but if it does, I will do it. I can pick things up in town day after tomorrow. Sigh, another cleaning day ahead of me... I'm getting REALLY tired of cleaning my house.

No carpets and only leather and wood furniture. I have usually three throw rugs that can be thrown in the laundry. Right now I have moved that down to one, in the bathroom and the dog doesn't go in there. Yet I wash it every time also. I HATE little corners and things that fleas, mites, etc. can get into. I don't even have any drapery. I have vacuumed the baseboards. I change his sleeping mat daily for a freshly washed one. He only has one sleeping mat because of this nonsense now.

Dust the yard? All 150 acres of it?:lol: I know he didn't get them from here. Not to say he couldn't, but he didn't. He got them from an uncared for chihuahua in another town -- yet another reason I add to my hate list for those little dogs :-P

How the heck people deal with this if they have unkempt houses with carpets and drapes and little kids if beyond me.

Sharpie 10-14-2012 05:35 PM

You're going to have to use either the brand name topical or oral (Comfortis, capstar, etc) treatments for a while. It typically takes at least three months of regular treatment to clear an infection because the eggs in the environment (house, yard, etc) take that long to grow up, hatch out and then die. Wild critters like possum, raccoons and skunks as well as feral cats and wild canids (coyote, etc) can reinfest your yard and property as well as neighbor animals.

NorthernMama 10-14-2012 06:37 PM

I hope I can get the oral treatments at the local pet supply store. I'm going to go buy the oral if I can and the spot treatment on Tuesday. I'll buy enough for a couple of months anyway. Thankfully, winter is on its way and that will eliminate the yard problem if it exists.

Thanks for the help.

deserthorsewoman 10-14-2012 06:50 PM

I would use a spot-on on the dog monthly and get a fogger for the house. I used what's called "Revolution", it takes care of fleas, ticks, earmites, sarcoptic mites, hookworms and roundworms. Even my supersensitive cat had no problems so it's pretty safe. Prescription only, tho. Works within 24 hours on the adult fleas. You'll find them, belly up.
Fogger, you'd have to read the label if it kills all flea livestages.

Cinm 10-15-2012 02:22 PM

Use multi advantage you will have to buy it at the vet or on ebay (I have 8 dogs and by off ebay)It will kill all fleas and eggs with in 24 hours of of putting it on.And you won't have to do anything else to house or yard.You will need to repeat again in 3.5 weeks to make sure any eggs that hatched will not reproduce.I would do 3 months in a row to be sure and if you have any other pets you will need to do them also.I can not take fleas I see one and I itch use this stuff works great and no bath for the dog etc..