The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Comfortable saddle pad for endurance? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/comfortable-saddle-pad-endurance-140530/)

hisangelonly 10-14-2012 08:22 PM

Comfortable saddle pad for endurance?

I have a crosby ap english saddle. It fits my arab well. Right now I use just a quilted ap pad and a cashel foam pad for extra padding. Im not racing yet. Just conditioning. I dont like using the cashel pad because it is hard to get it even under the saddle and ends up a little lopsided. i am wanting a pad with built in padding. maybe 1/2 or more thick? what do you guys think? I like the contoured look but if thats not considered effecient then i can live without contoured lol. What are some good pads you know of that fit my criteria? does someone have a new or lightly used pad i could possibly buy from them? I like the gel wool and memory foam pads. there is one I really like but its around $300...Or would it be a good idea to use a soreback or wool/fleece half pad on top of my ap pad instead of the cashel? I am just worried about shock absorption and comfort for my gelding.

hisangelonly 10-14-2012 08:25 PM

Oh also what are some awesome comfy riding boots for endurance? Im thinking short paddock boots or something. what about sneakers? May sound like a dumb question lol.

QOS 10-14-2012 09:39 PM

I recently got Biscuit an Equipedic endurance pad. I took out the pad inserts. It made it too bulky. I like the wool on the bottom and it fits well with my saddle. It was pricey but I like it. I also like that they come in a plethora of colors - I chose purple to match Biscuit's bridle!

I ride in Ariat lace up boots that look like hiking shoes. They are comfortable and give good support

hisangelonly 10-14-2012 10:01 PM

Yes I looked at the equipedic and liked what I saw. It's like $250 right? That's not doable for me right now lol but maybe I can find a lightly used one somewhere for cheaper?
You are the second person to recommend the ariats. I have arthritis on the outside of my right foot and right pinkie toe. I also need an arch. Will these boots be good for that? Do they keep your feet cool or warm?
Posted via Mobile Device

QOS 10-15-2012 09:53 AM

My feet are always pretty comfortable cold/heat wise unless I get them wet. I need to water proof them. I do have spurs on my heels and not the kind I can take off so good arch support is a must. I like the Ariats and wear them when I go to the barn for the most part.

The saddle pad is cheap considering how much $$ I have spent on saddle pads trying to find the right one....

1. Air Ride $150
2. gel one that I used all of 3 hours $150
3. felt pad $40
4. mayatex $40
5. Skito Pad $150

and that doesn't include the Aussie pads I have owned.

I still have the Air Ride and would use it with a Western Saddle. This new Equipedic fits my new endurance saddle well and is maybe 3/4 to 1" thick if that. The saddle was custom made for Biscuit and fits him well and so does the pad.

So considering I have spent over $500 on western saddle pads the $230 for this pad was actually cheap - and it works thank God.

hisangelonly 10-15-2012 10:05 AM

Ok I will need to look around for these ariats. I went to cavendars. They didn't have any lace up boots at all. I might need to order them online. The only pads I've bought so far are my 3 ap pads and the little Half pad riser thing made by cashel. I'm trying to find the perfect pad. Is there a return policy for the equipedic just in case I don't like it?
Posted via Mobile Device

hisangelonly 10-15-2012 10:20 AM

Are any of these them?

Ariat Leather Riding Boots | Buy.com | Plus Harley Davidson Black Riding Boots, and Ariat Oiled Riding Boots
Posted via Mobile Device

hisangelonly 10-15-2012 10:22 AM

What's the name of the boot model
Posted via Mobile Device

QOS 10-15-2012 11:02 AM

Looks like that first picture. I got them at Tractor Supply!!

QOS 10-15-2012 11:06 AM

As for returning a saddle pad, I am not sure. ok...this is what the website says:

EquiPedic, Inc.
Refund Policy

28 Day Money Back Guarantee!
(Saddle pads only. All Returns Must Be Clean Otherwise Subject To 15% Restocking Fee. Excludes shipping charges. Must Include Proof of Purchase. Time period is calculated from date of order or date of shipping, which ever is later. Returns over 28 days will be prorated. No returns over 90 days will be accepted.
NO EXCEPTIONS.)

They have a $20 discount right now.