The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Best grain for weight gain without making a horse hot? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/best-grain-weight-gain-without-making-140532/)

CountryGirl3294 10-14-2012 08:32 PM

Best grain for weight gain without making a horse hot?

I have a 12 y/o thoroughbredxqh mare that was off the tracks. She has the get up and go on her so it is difficult to find grains that won't add to that. Currently she is losing weight because of the weather changing and it is hard to keep weight on her before and during the winter. I am currently giving her Tribute "Kalm n Ez" to help put weight on her and keep her calm, which I am happy about the calm part and during the summer the weight was fine. Now it is getting difficult again. I heard some things about Triple Crown Senior but I don't know what I should do? Keep her on Tribute but add oils, or mineral stuff? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ashley

poppy1356 10-14-2012 08:35 PM

I give in each feeding 1lb beet pulp crumbles and 1/2 lb rice bran. Flax seed oil did wonders as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thyme 10-14-2012 08:35 PM

Beet pulp! its amazing my horses get 2 lbs morning 3 at night unless they get too fat then I lower it.

themacpack 10-14-2012 08:37 PM

What is her forage - is she on pasture only or also being given hay? If yes to hay - what sort and how much (weight, not flakes) hay per day? Forage is the key ingredient to maintaining a horse's weight. For adding weight, free choice, QUALITY, hay is my first step. We have a TB (7 yo and also off the track - but once you get past the first several months I take that part out of the equation as they are just another TB) as well and just in moving to the use of a round bale over having to throw hay to her throughout the day we have been able to all but eliminate the need for graining - she is actually a bit on the "fluffy" side of her weight now.
When was she last floated and an FEC/de-worming done?

lpcg18 10-14-2012 09:45 PM

I was wondering the same thing!

CountryGirl3294 10-15-2012 09:42 AM

She had her teeth floated about a year and half ago. She shows no signs of eating trouble. She had all her shots done in the end of spring to beginning of summer. She is due for fall worming. She is on a open pasture 24/7 that is full of high quality grass that is also used to bale hay. Whenever she is given hay it is always weighed to equal the amount she should eat by how much she weighs.
Posted via Mobile Device

gothicangel69 10-15-2012 10:11 AM

If its been that long since her last floating, I would get the vet out to check her teeth. Just because she doesn't appear to have trouble eating, doesn't mean her teeth are working properly. Its usually recommended to get their teeth checked at least once a year at her age, and floated if necessary. It's something to rule out at least- no point in throwing good money away on extra feed if its just a tooth imbalance. :).
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 10-15-2012 10:26 AM

Grass is getting poor in nutrition in fall and has next to nothing in winter, if there is any at all.
So there could be one reason for weight loss. TB's in general are hard keepers, period.
I'd suggest free choice hay first of all. I'd also add some alfalfa. That should help already. Then, to add even more calories without the "crazy" effect, as stated, beetpulp and ricebran. Mix it with what you currently feed and see how it goes. If you can't get alfalfa hay, soaked alfalfa pellets work, too.

CountryGirl3294 10-15-2012 12:10 PM

When the vet came out during the spring he also checked her teeth and said everything was fine. She has hay available besides the grass in the field. Our other QHs are over weight from eating just the grass our there and no grain. So the grass has to have nutrient value if they are gaining weight from the same pasture. I'll try the beet pulp along with her grain. Whenever I gave her alfalfa she got "hotter" and had stomach problems. She almost colic on alfalfa. Thanks for all the replies. It helps me out a lot to hear them.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 10-15-2012 01:16 PM

Another vote for beet pulp and rice bran :-) My barn feeds a nightly mash of beet pulp and rice bran (in a 4:1 ratio), which the horses love. You can safely feed rice bran up to 2 lbs/day, and no real upper limit on beet pulp- just be sure to soak it.

My boy is an easy keeper, but he was underweight when I bought him. Rice bran did wonders for putting the weight back on him.