The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Is using a stud chain bad? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/using-stud-chain-bad-140537/)

LikeaTB 10-14-2012 10:05 PM

Is using a stud chain bad?

I've seen horses with them, are the necessarily bad/do they hurt the horse? The place I ride at, they use NH methods, and I've never seen them use a stud chain, but I saw a lead rope with one on and one in the tack room (they used to breed and race racehorses by the way), but I've never seen them use one. I recently came across a picture of when they first got this Friesian and were taking pictures of him, they had used a stud chain on him (I heard he was gelded like 6 months before they got him, and he was at least 6).
Back to the main point, do stud chains hurt horses? I hate to sound like the inexperienced pony-obsessed girl, its just that I've never had any experience about them and was just curious to know.
Thanks!

themacpack 10-14-2012 10:07 PM

As with ANY tool that can be used with horses they can be used in an appropriate manner or they can be used in an abusive manner. The tool itself is neither good nor bad.

Lexiie 10-14-2012 10:08 PM

We have one on a big 6yr old Percheron

It's just hooked under the halter and we don't shank down or apply pressure, we let it do it to herself
She doesn't pull at all, now it's back down to a normal lead, hurray!!

Yes, they can hurt a horse. Think about having something solid pressing against part of your face or nose. They can definitely hurt

Lexiie 10-14-2012 10:09 PM

sorry double post

TexasBlaze 10-14-2012 10:12 PM

Stud chains are placed on a pressure point in a horses mouth that releases endorphines. They arent created to hurt the horse into submission. As long as theyre used gently and correctly they are perfectly fine.

Spotted 10-14-2012 10:13 PM

I have seen trainers that use it on all there horses, mares, geldings, stallions, horses in for training ect. over the nose or under.
I believe you cannot show a stallion in halter without one.
And yes it will hurt, if the horse bolts or isn't used properly.

Muppetgirl 10-14-2012 10:20 PM

Yup, it can hurt, deliberately or inadvertantly depending on the situation.

Very handy tool of you have a 1200lb beast on the end of the line and need a little extra back up!!

I spent many years working with racehorses, we had ONE stud chain and it was never used, because we didn't want the horse to get a marked up nose!!!! We used colt bits instead, or sometimes they're call anti-rearing bits, they are very useful when dealing with highly strung horses and hormonal studs!

Just about every tool has a use, it all depends on the handler.

boots 10-14-2012 10:38 PM

Getting yourself or someone else stomped on is bad. Stud chains, like everyone else says, are just a tool.

paintedpastures 10-14-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots (Post 1719342)
Getting yourself or someone else stomped on is bad. Stud chains, like everyone else says, are just a tool.

Yes yourself or others getting pushed around or stomped on by a horse is worse!:-(Stud chains are not hurtful when used CORRECTLY.Like spurs they are a tool that can refine cues, keep a horse focused on & respecting it's handler.Nothing worse than an unruly or horse disrespectful of your space:-( .There is also different ways to apply a chain those I find more discipline/breed dependent:wink:.
I have used one on studs when breeding,plus training/showing halter & showmanship where it is the norm{for giving more refined light cues,more responsive horse}.Otherwise not a tool I find I use regularly in day to day handling:-)

SplashedOvero 10-14-2012 11:08 PM

I wouldn't say its bad. Im taking vet tech classes & they are teaching to use them for any horse for restraint. There are different ways I have been taught so far
(& i just started the restraint class) One way is put the chain over the nose.
The other is Over the nose & then pull it down & put it in the horses mouth across the gums. & theres another way but i dont remember it right now.
You don't jerk them. you apply pressure to the horse & the presssure stops the horse from going forward.