The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How did you come up with your horse's name? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-did-you-come-up-your-140548/)

TheBayArabian 10-14-2012 10:21 PM

How did you come up with your horse's name?

3 Attachment(s)
I recently got a new horse(a week ago), she is a little weanling about 5 months old and I am having a horrible time coming up with a name for her. I kind of like Destiny but it is also a very common horse name and I am wanting something a little more unique. She is very curious about everything, thinks things through, persistent, smart, very sweet and of course adorable.

So how did you guys come up with your horse's name?

So far these are what I have come up with:
Destiny
Maya (My-ya)
Utopia
Euphoria (u-four-ree-a)
Eclipse
Sapphire

I know some of them aren't that unique. Do you think any of them fit her? OR if you have an suggestions on names let me know! Please do tell me if one of the names I listed is not a good fit

Attachment 115228
Attachment 115227
Attachment 115231
We have a better fitting halter on her now and the drag line is off of her.

MissKriss 10-14-2012 10:25 PM

I'm in the same boat, except mines a colt and he's roughly 7 months old... but I feel like I have gone threw every name ever made and yet nothing jumps out at me.
Kinda sucks lol
Posted via Mobile Device

TheBayArabian 10-14-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKriss (Post 1719416)
I'm in the same boat, except mines a colt and he's roughly 7 months old... but I feel like I have gone threw every name ever made and yet nothing jumps out at me.
Kinda sucks lol
Posted via Mobile Device

It is hard! I have went through a couple of baby name websites but nothing all that great maybe I should check the horse name websites.

MissKriss 10-14-2012 10:32 PM

Lol done that! I have a list too but it seems like when I pick out a name that sounds good, ill sleep on it and because I overthink it, the name then becomes stupid to me.... if that makes any sense?
Posted via Mobile Device

rookie 10-14-2012 10:34 PM

Usually the convention for registered names is the sires name and the mothers name or a combination of both. The barn name something thats a play off that. We had a tank of a foal and the local hockey team won the Stanley Cup the other year. So we are using that as a springboard. That said I have in the past named horses after family friends. I have no clue what to give as suggestions we have two horses name Rose at home right now.

TheBayArabian 10-14-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKriss (Post 1719424)
Lol done that! I have a list too but it seems like when I pick out a name that sounds good, ill sleep on it and because I overthink it, the name then becomes stupid to me.... if that makes any sense?
Posted via Mobile Device

lol I know exactly what you mean because I keep doing that also! I plan on keeping her for a long time and I want a name that I will still like in 10-25 years.

TheBayArabian 10-14-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rookie (Post 1719426)
Usually the convention for registered names is the sires name and the mothers name or a combination of both. The barn name something thats a play off that. We had a tank of a foal and the local hockey team won the Stanley Cup the other year. So we are using that as a springboard. That said I have in the past named horses after family friends. I have no clue what to give as suggestions we have two horses name Rose at home right now.

That would make the naming a little easier but I don't know anything about her sire or mother's name. We ended up getting her at an auction.

AndersonEquestrian 10-14-2012 10:51 PM

Tina used to be Winnie (Winning Ways) but I didn't like it so I was watching Napoleon Dynamite and I always tell the horses to "Come here and get your food" so it just worked perfectly to call her Tina the Fatlard. =]

sinsin4635 10-14-2012 10:58 PM

My boy was easy. He's a BLM mustang from Modoc county, so I call him Modoc.

Tarpan 10-15-2012 12:11 AM

Mine came with the name "Buck", so I kept it. I like King of the Hill and Married With Children and there's a character named Buck in both shows, I've never owned an animal named Buck and the name is short and distinct to make it easier to learn.