The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How did you come up with your horse's name?

3K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  fkcb1988 
#1 ·
I recently got a new horse(a week ago), she is a little weanling about 5 months old and I am having a horrible time coming up with a name for her. I kind of like Destiny but it is also a very common horse name and I am wanting something a little more unique. She is very curious about everything, thinks things through, persistent, smart, very sweet and of course adorable.

So how did you guys come up with your horse's name?

So far these are what I have come up with:
Destiny
Maya (My-ya)
Utopia
Euphoria (u-four-ree-a)
Eclipse
Sapphire

I know some of them aren't that unique. Do you think any of them fit her? OR if you have an suggestions on names let me know! Please do tell me if one of the names I listed is not a good fit

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Colt Mane

Vertebrate Mammal Horse Sorrel Foal

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mare Stallion

We have a better fitting halter on her now and the drag line is off of her.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm in the same boat, except mines a colt and he's roughly 7 months old... but I feel like I have gone threw every name ever made and yet nothing jumps out at me.
Kinda sucks lol
Posted via Mobile Device
It is hard! I have went through a couple of baby name websites but nothing all that great maybe I should check the horse name websites.

#6 ·
Lol done that! I have a list too but it seems like when I pick out a name that sounds good, ill sleep on it and because I overthink it, the name then becomes stupid to me.... if that makes any sense?
Posted via Mobile Device
lol I know exactly what you mean because I keep doing that also! I plan on keeping her for a long time and I want a name that I will still like in 10-25 years.

#5 ·
Usually the convention for registered names is the sires name and the mothers name or a combination of both. The barn name something thats a play off that. We had a tank of a foal and the local hockey team won the Stanley Cup the other year. So we are using that as a springboard. That said I have in the past named horses after family friends. I have no clue what to give as suggestions we have two horses name Rose at home right now.

#10 ·
Mine came with the name "Buck", so I kept it. I like King of the Hill and Married With Children and there's a character named Buck in both shows, I've never owned an animal named Buck and the name is short and distinct to make it easier to learn.

#19 ·
:lol::lol: And that is why Ben, is always called Ben Ben or Big Ben,

Lets see, the great big draft cross mare was called Tiny when we got her, but I hated that so she ended up being Berta, after the housekeeper in Two and a Half Men, but she ended up being Big Bert

Sosa didn't cut it, so my son came up with Appy Gilmore, who was called G Man, Mr G, Appy G.

The foals born here, some named themselves, Alfie, and Wombat,

Some went through a few, Daisy, became Duke when we discovered he was a boy:oops: but I kept calling him Stuart, and he ended up being Stewie.

Some really never get a name, Prince ended being Prince because he had to have a name, and that one didn't suck to badly.

#13 ·
Lol, Alex, I'm the same way! Two syllables is good, three is better than one but still not as good as two. Four is ridiculous.

My horses both came to me with names [Ricci and Gracie], but I had a hell of a time naming my cat. I really liked Oliver, he's a total Oliver, but I really want to name my future son Oliver James so I just couldn't do it, lol.

I like people names for animals. I don't care for Fluffy and Rocky and Diamond and the like. For your filly, I would think more along the lines of Lacey, Lily, Lucy... especially Lucy. You can call her Dora. The Explorer. =P
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
My first horse was named White Lightening which worked out great cause I was 7 and wanted a black horse named Thunder or a white horse named Lightening.

I usually look at my animal and sometimes a name jumps out at me and sometimes we run through a few then one comes to us. Movies help alot. Right now I have a Riley (Wylie Coyote but Wylie made us find like we had a speach impediment), Millie (Team Umi Zoomi) and Octavious (Cinderella, the mouse Octavious aka Gus Gus).

Female names Ive had in my life time:
Tippie
Seymour
Tiger Lilly
Clover
Faith
Precious
Athena

I like Savannah or Hannah for your girl.

#23 ·
My first horse was named White Lightening which worked out great cause I was 7 and wanted a black horse named Thunder or a white horse named Lightening.

I usually look at my animal and sometimes a name jumps out at me and sometimes we run through a few then one comes to us. Movies help alot. Right now I have a Riley (Wylie Coyote but Wylie made us find like we had a speach impediment), Millie (Team Umi Zoomi) and Octavious (Cinderella, the mouse Octavious aka Gus Gus).

Female names Ive had in my life time:
Tippie
Seymour
Tiger Lilly
Clover
Faith
Precious
Athena

I like Savannah or Hannah for your girl.
My dog that I have right now is named Precious and it fits her pretty good. I do like both Savannah and Hannah. Maybe I need to start watching more movies to give myself some ideas. lol

#16 ·
Haha, the joys of horse names.... when I bought mine, their names were Ruthie and Mr. Puddles.

Now Ruthie is Willow, and Puddles is Dozer. I like the flexibility of a willow's branches and I always apply the concept "bend me, don't break me" to horses, so I thought Willow was a beautiful name for a mare. Dozer... well, he's as big as a bulldozer and he always seems to want to doze off to sleep when you're holding him.

Don't think too hard about it. One day you'll be sitting watching TV or something and it'll come to you. Start calling her whatever name you come up with a if it sticks, keep it. If not, go to something else. That's what my friends did with their mare. Eventually you'll end up on a name that you don't have to "think" about when you go to address her.

#21 ·
Lol this is an interesting thread. I love the names so far xD

My mare came witht he name 'jettabelle' which was pretty for a black mare,but I had a jet and a belle already at the barn so I couldn't pull it off. She's a big draft horse, so tank seemed to obvious, but being a girl, I named her origionally 'Tank Girl" after the movie ^^ But then I remembered my grandpa drove a Tank in Ireland, So her name became Irish Tank :D

My pony's name was Diamond, when I got him, which is rather boring, he was quite the naughty pony when I got him too, he had attacked a trainer in his past life and came to me with a criminal record. So he become "Diamond's Rebellion" - Rebel in my barn :D

That being said we still have a colt who's names vary from, "Mr. Baby Pony" to "Fire in the Sky" to "Mr. Sandman" to "Denim" to "blue" to "snuggles" and finally "Viking Too" (intentionally spelled that way, as in Viking Also)

#24 ·
Lol this is an interesting thread. I love the names so far xD

My mare came witht he name 'jettabelle' which was pretty for a black mare,but I had a jet and a belle already at the barn so I couldn't pull it off. She's a big draft horse, so tank seemed to obvious, but being a girl, I named her origionally 'Tank Girl" after the movie ^^ But then I remembered my grandpa drove a Tank in Ireland, So her name became Irish Tank :D

My pony's name was Diamond, when I got him, which is rather boring, he was quite the naughty pony when I got him too, he had attacked a trainer in his past life and came to me with a criminal record. So he become "Diamond's Rebellion" - Rebel in my barn :D

That being said we still have a colt who's names vary from, "Mr. Baby Pony" to "Fire in the Sky" to "Mr. Sandman" to "Denim" to "blue" to "snuggles" and finally "Viking Too" (intentionally spelled that way, as in Viking Also)
I like how the names changed. :) . You have some neat names too, especially Diamond's Rebellion. I am thinking about just giving her a name that I like and maybe later on coming up with a nick name that fits her personality better...

My guy was Alexander but I shortened it to Xander when I bought him. I still use Alexander when I'm scolding him! ;)
His show name was easy (hes not registered) I show him as Something Unexpected because I didn't know I was getting him til the day I got him! :)
Haha Something Unexpected works really good for him then! I like that it has a meaning to it. If I had to have a show name for my name for my girl it would be Total Surprise because kind of like you it was a total surprise to me that I got her and we know nothing about her breeding or parents(except that the dam was pretty big and a fleabitten gray) so we don't know how big she will get or if she will gray out any with her mother being a gray. So it will be interesting to see as she grows.

#22 ·
JJ got his name after JJ the Jetplane lol

Scrat was Studly to me before we cut him and my mom called him Scrat because the top of his tail was like POOF and looked like the squirrel off of Ice Age lol and the name stuck.

Polly came with the name but we often call her Dory after Finding Nemo lol. She has about the attention span of a gnat lol and the name Dory fits her perfectly so does her personality lol.

Hotstuff I named and I don't why I was just hooked on the saying "whatsa happenin Hotstuff" so he got that name lol.

Rango got his from the movie Rango because he sorta has the relaxed but Ima BA attitude lol and reminded me a lot of the character Rango.

Jasper got his name from the Twilight movies lol especially Eclipse but my mom has always like the character.

Stark got his name from Iron Man because he had that same attitude when he was littler and still does lol.

Blue because he is a Blue Roan and because of some of his bloodlines.

Brutus I'm really the only one that calls him that lol because he is going to be HUGE
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Just play around with names! Something will stick eventually. I named my horse Honey because she is the color of the sweet, and I call lots of people honey already so its kinda like a nickname that became her real name. It has nothing to do with her registered name at all! But it fits her pretty well :)

I had a horse named Picasso once because he was a paint and well of course Picasso was a painter

My first horse was named Sparkle because she was born on the 4th of July

My friends horse is Magnum off of Magnum P.I. because he just thinks he is the coolest little gelding around

And one of my personal favorites is Bodacious, my friends pony. Holy crap he has more personality and punch in his little body then her appendix QH who is 16.2! He can outrun almost any horse at the stable and def fits his name

#26 ·
Picking names is great fun, but, like above, we will play with a name until we're satisfied with it.
"Toma Coma" (1970-2004, RIP) was 15yo and called "Spot" when we bought him. My DD, 5 at the time, named him.
"Corporal" (1982-2009, RIP) was nameless, we were one year into CW Reenacting, and my DH named him after the rank.
"Sweet Cup&Cakes" was named "Sweet ______" by DH, who wanted the sweet to transfer to the horse. We found the name from an online comic strip, LONESTARRUNNER, (Strongbad). We still disagree over the spelling--
Sweet Cup&Cakes vs. Sweet Cuppin' Cakes
Funny, that--sounds like a court case, DH is an attorney, and the horse's registered name is "Long Arm of the Law". =b
"Buster Brown" was an un-named rescue, that the rescue raised from a foal. They already had had a "Buster", so they called him "Pepper". Didn't fit a Red Dunn. Lily Tomlin played a little girl who had a dog named "Buster" and we had a stuffed dog mascot of the same name. Seemed obvious to me. And it DOES fit him, since he gets into stuff and picks up EVERYTHING to play with, like a dog would.

#28 ·
I tried naming my little mini mule before she was born and tossed around over 30 names trying to find one that I liked. When I got a call that she has been born on 9/11 I came out with my sheet of names ready to pick one. The second I saw her though, I knew that I was going to name her Honor. It wasnt even on my list, but it fit her perfectly! Funny though, after having her mama who's name is Sour for all of these years and dealing with her less-than-stellar personality I swore I wouldnt name the baby anything that could possibly have anything to do with a personality name like Sweetie, Spicey, etc. Naming her Honor sounded safe, but I've realized now that Honor is perfect for 'Honory' which is EXACTLY what she is, the little buggar!

Sour wasn't named by me, she was named by her former owner who sort of let her be the boss and take over without any repriminding or anything. As much as I wanted to change her name though,nothing else seems to fit her and she really just is a Sour horse xD I love her to death but she's not a people horse. She has no use for humans and I'm the only person she really puts up with, only because I'm just as stubborn as she is.

Then theres Peppin and Kenzie who I also named. I really dont know how I came up with those. They were both fosters (we have now adopted Peppin and Kenzie has been rehomed but kept her name) but Peppin, even though he came from a terrible situation, is just a big bundle of energy. I wanted to name him Peppy but I see that name so much in QH bloodlines that I decided to mix the other name I liked- Pippin, with Peppy, and get Peppin xD he unfortunately lost his eye this spring in a freak accident though so, mean as we are, we end up calling him 'Pirate Pony' most of the time even though he's only a year old and already 15.2hh at the butt.

Kenzie means treasure, so it just fit for a tiny newborn from a bad situation of mangy horses to be named treasure. She has some serious health issues but her new owners love their little 'treasure' anyways!

#29 ·
DH is working on book # 42--already e-published 3, with 5 to be published by Christmas--so we name a LOT of characters, and some horses. He named (in his books) the Jenny, "Mudd", and her colt, "Trot."

#30 ·
Zanna, which is her barn name, is a play on Xanax, the anti-anxiety mecication and Zan from her pedigree. Because she is my anti-anxiety and I spelled it with a Z to make it not like the drug!

Her (pending) registered name is Zans American Lady. Her sire is PJ Zan Jack and her dam is In American Waters, and she has My Lady Diamond a couple generations back on her top side.

#31 ·
I like naming animals after characters in books or shows that I like. Our dog is Princess Leia (just Leia most times), our cats are Philip J. Fry (Fry) and Amy Wong (Amy) from the show Futurama, and my horse is Éowyn from Lord of the Rings.

The exceptions are the miniatures whose registered names just stuck and nothing else seemed to work, Thundercloud (Cloudy) and Justabelle (Jaybee). And Pepper the dog. My husband came up with that one. It actually suits her really well, as she's kind of black and brown with a little bit of grey just like the colours in a real pepper shaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.