The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Is my trailer too uphill? (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/my-trailer-too-uphill-140557/)

Tessa7707 10-15-2012 12:39 AM

Is my trailer too uphill?

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_0108.jpg
So, my husband and I agree that this is not ideal, and we plan on doing a suspension lift on the trailer EVENTUALLY, as finances allow. If we swapped the hitch for an adjustable gooseneck, we would risk hitting the bedrails. My husband says this is safe from a mechanical perspective, but again- not ideal.
My question is, how much is this uphill angle affecting the horses? While not ideal, is this a crucial concern? Thanks for any feedback!

Chevaux 10-15-2012 03:14 AM

I must say I have seen worse being towed around but it should be level. The length of your trips will affect the comfort of your horses -- the longer the haul, the greater the strain on legs, maintaining balance becomes tiresome and the idea that trailer riding is not fun starts to form in the equine mind.

waresbear 10-15-2012 03:19 AM

Your dumping the load on the back 2 tires of your rig. Get that fixed asap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tessa7707 10-15-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 1719631)
I must say I have seen worse being towed around but it should be level. The length of your trips will affect the comfort of your horses -- the longer the haul, the greater the strain on legs, maintaining balance becomes tiresome and the idea that trailer riding is not fun starts to form in the equine mind.

Right. That was helpful, Chevaux. Right now I am only towing less than 30 minutes at a time. Thank you. It was perfectly level when we towed with our old truck, but have since sold that truck and got this one. Also, it does level out a bit and spread the weight more evenly on the axels when we have a load in the front.

Does anyone have any experience fixing this or swapping leaf springs? Are air bags the way to go? Any tips or advice?

goneriding 10-16-2012 07:05 PM

Can you block the trailer? Ford's are notorious for their bed height. The nose looks already far down as far as lowering it.

COWCHICK77 10-16-2012 08:39 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I notice in the picture that the trailer is not loaded or maybe you have little ponies.
How many horses are you hauling and where in the trailer? Look at it then, does it level out any when loaded?

Tessa7707 10-16-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goneriding (Post 1721206)
Can you block the trailer? Ford's are notorious for their bed height. The nose looks already far down as far as lowering it.

What do you mean by block the trailer? Like a body lift on a truck? Is that safe? I definitely want to fix this. I was thinking replacing leaf springs might be the best? I really don't know though.

@Cowchick- No, the trailer is empty. It does level out a little with horses loaded in just the front, and I haul from one to four horses at a time. I'll try to get a picture of it loaded.

Tessa7707 10-16-2012 09:33 PM

Bigger tires might help as well, right? As long as we have enough clearance. These tires are pretty new though- less than a year - so I don't really want to replace those again just yet.

Joe4d 10-16-2012 10:37 PM

gonna depend on your trailer suspension for exactly how to do it, but lifting the trailer a couple inches isnt that difficult. Pretty much any 4WD shop can figure it out.

Chevaux 10-16-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tessa7707 (Post 1721346)
Bigger tires might help as well, right? As long as we have enough clearance. These tires are pretty new though- less than a year - so I don't really want to replace those again just yet.

True, larger tires will make a difference. If you're thinking of putting bigger ones on the trailer, you'll have to bear in mind the height of leg lift increase required by the horses to step in/out of the trailer and decide if that may be problematic for them.