The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English stirrup pads (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-stirrup-pads-140579/)

OutOfTheLoop 10-15-2012 09:18 AM

English stirrup pads

I bought an English saddle to take my lessons in, and it come with everything but the pads that go into the stirrups. Being a Western girl, I'm not sure exactly how I need to measure so I can get the right size pads. Do I measure the length of the irons, or the size of the hole where the pads go?
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 10-15-2012 10:00 AM

If there is a store nearby, take the stirrup with you. The holes aren't completely standardized, and that is the critical part to match. The rubber pd will be OK if the pad is too small, and can be cut if it is too big.

Or go without. Ronald Reagan rode without them. If your boots have vibram or rubberish soles, then I prefer no pads. If you have leather soles, then the pads help, IMHO.

OutOfTheLoop 10-15-2012 10:08 AM

The only tack store nearby caters to Western, there's not a whole lot of English riders around. My boots do have rubber soles. I can do without them, I thought it was something you had to have lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 10-15-2012 10:16 AM

There are several sizes of English stirrups. Here are the pads I do NOT prefer, which have less tread.
Pro-Craft Stirrup Iron Pads - Statelinetack.com
Here is a better pad, IMO, with a tread with more friction to it.
Fillis Stirrup Pads - Statelinetack.com
BOTH types of pads wear out after awhile, so I look for clearance online sales for replacements and leave them stored in their plastic packages until I need them.
Just measure the bottom width OUTSIDE to OUTSIDE of the irons for the correct size. =D

bsms 10-15-2012 10:26 AM

Corporal's advise is good. After reading about Reagan, I tried riding without them and found I like it better when riding with my Ariat boots. Also tried it with my leather sole boots, though, and it was slick as snot on a door nob. I have grandkids, and some experience with the latter...:wink:

OutOfTheLoop 10-15-2012 10:43 AM

Thanks yall. I'll measure and order to my best guess lol. They arnt expensive so I might order two different sizes just incase.
Posted via Mobile Device

unclearthur 10-15-2012 12:11 PM

Stirrup treads help keep your feet slightly warmer in winter :)

Please Note - FILLIS PADS These are designed for Fillis irons which have a thicker footplate. They won't fit standard English (PSOB) irons so check which type you have.

Just thought I'd mention. And you've got a weird measurement system over there. Irons are usually measured inside the frame, not outside.

verona1016 10-15-2012 02:28 PM

I was also under the impression that measuring inside the frame was the standard. My stirrups measure 4.5" inside the frame and the pads are labeled 4.5".