The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Waiver questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/waiver-questions-140590/)

Equilove 10-15-2012 01:33 PM

Waiver questions

I want to write up a release of liability for someone else coming out and riding my horses. The horses are on a private property, not at a boarding facility. It's my friend's place. I want to release my friends (property owners) as well as myself (horse owners) from liability.

Do I need 3 signatures (mine, my friend's, the other rider's) on the waiver?

I do have permission from my friends to have someone else come out and ride. I just don't want them (or myself, obviously) getting sued if something happens.

Anyone have advice on what to include?

franknbeans 10-15-2012 01:43 PM

Absolutely you need the permission of the barn owner! And, just FYI-they can say no! After all, it is their insurance policy covering anyone there, and the insurance may not allow it, or it may cost a lot extra.

Personally, I have a seperate liability for my horses, it is cheap piece of mind, and be aware that even with a waiver if someone gets hurt, it may not be the actual hurt person who sues. it is their insurance company, which is happening more and more. I don;t risk it. I only have my poilcy for my guy who is at a therapy facility. (which is on top of the policy the facility has that covers me) My husband and I decided years ago that we like our home and want to continue to own it-so NOONE rides my horses.

I don't think the BO has to sign, but it should have their name and/or farm name and say some thing like....

"I ___________ hold harmless and indemnify ____________(farm name or BO) landowner as well as _________(you). I understand that horses are dangerous and engaging in equine activities may lead to injury and or death.....blah blah....

Signature and witness.

Equilove 10-15-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1720024)
Absolutely you need the permission of the barn owner! And, just FYI-they can say no! After all, it is their insurance policy covering anyone there, and the insurance may not allow it, or it may cost a lot extra.

Personally, I have a seperate liability for my horses, it is cheap piece of mind, and be aware that even with a waiver if someone gets hurt, it may not be the actual hurt person who sues. it is their insurance company, which is happening more and more. I don;t risk it. I only have my poilcy for my guy who is at a therapy facility. (which is on top of the policy the facility has that covers me) My husband and I decided years ago that we like our home and want to continue to own it-so NOONE rides my horses.

I don't think the BO has to sign, but it should have their name and/or farm name and say some thing like....

"I ___________ hold harmless and indemnify ____________(farm name or BO) landowner as well as _________(you). I understand that horses are dangerous and engaging in equine activities may lead to injury and or death.....blah blah....

Signature and witness.

I think you may have misread the post - I said I already have permission from my friends to let someone else come out and ride. They are not a boarding facility, they are just private people with a farm and they allow me to keep my two horses there. They have 3 horses of their own as well.

Thank you for the advice!

franknbeans 10-15-2012 02:34 PM

I keep mine at a friends also, and this is pretty much what she insists on if anyone comes to the farm with me, even if they are not riding.

nikelodeon79 10-15-2012 03:06 PM

Just an fyi, a release will not prevent someone from suing you, unfortunately.
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 10-15-2012 03:12 PM

^^ exactly. Or suing the BO.

Equilove 10-15-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 (Post 1720106)
Just an fyi, a release will not prevent someone from suing you, unfortunately.
Posted via Mobile Device

I did know this - anyone can sue for anything, but it doesn't mean they'll win. I just want to be prepared.

franknbeans 10-15-2012 07:35 PM

Unfortunately, most of these are mot worth the paper they are on. Makes us feel better tho.