The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Peanut Hay? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/peanut-hay-140594/)

DrumRunner 10-15-2012 02:38 PM

Peanut Hay?

Does anyone have any experience with it? Pros and cons? It's looking like it will be much easier to come across and cheaper than what I'm now paying for hay now that's it's cooling off and my horses will soon be on free choice hay when our grazing starts to die..I don't want to try it without advice or hearing personal experiences.

Speed Racer 10-15-2012 02:41 PM

Well, it's a legume hay instead of grass, and I'm a big fan of feeding legumes. :D

I imagine you'll need to figure out how to ration it though, since it should take less peanut hay than grass hay to keep your herd at optimum weight.

DrumRunner 10-15-2012 02:46 PM

Really? What do you think about having my hard keeper on it free choice instead of packing a ton of feed in her twice a day, weight gain supplements, and making sure she stays where she is weight wise.. Would I be able to keep mine out 24/7 with it and cut back on their grain? That would be fantastic for my wallet. They're usually on a high quality free choice round bale but I'm also feeding twice a day and supplements. Their grain intake boosts up in the winter..The peanut hay is also looking to be able $20 cheaper a bale..

Speed Racer 10-15-2012 02:55 PM

Sounds like a plan, Drum.

Alfalfa is also a legume, which is why it takes far less alfalfa hay to keep a horse at a good weight than grass hay.

If I could find soybean or peanut hay, I'd buy it. The only problem I see to it is if you have a TOO easy keeper. You'd have to severely limit it.

DrumRunner 10-15-2012 03:28 PM

My only really easy keeper is Hickory and if he's on the peanut hay and stays at a good weight I won't have to give him much grain, maybe once a day to make him feel like he's getting something.

Alfalfa is CRAZY expensive here..talk about an arm and a leg. This peanut hay is definitely starting to sound better and better.. cheaper, I can cut back on my grain spending, and possibly no weigt builder for Nikki..

Speed Racer 10-15-2012 03:33 PM

Another big plus is that horses go absolutely crazy for it.

DrumRunner 10-15-2012 05:21 PM

Good! Thanks SR!

SorrelHorse 10-15-2012 05:28 PM

Drum, Hickory needs to stop eating. Him and Selena need some serious Jenny Craig. :rofl:

DrumRunner 10-15-2012 05:30 PM

Girl you aren't kidding, he's looking better now, not AS fat as usual. He's been getting worked when I'm home so he's not as obese lol.

Speed Racer 10-15-2012 05:34 PM

Mine could stand to lose a few pounds, too. :oops:

Surely I can't be the ONLY person who owns an ex-racing TB who is a supremely easy keeper? :-P