The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Should I blanket while trailering??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/should-i-blanket-while-trailering-140597/)

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 10-15-2012 04:05 PM

Should I blanket while trailering???

hello It gets very cold here in the winter and this winter I will probably be trailering my 2 horses to go trail riding almost every weekend. Do I need to blanket my horses for the trailer ride? I have a simple 2 horse straight load trailer. If a blanket would be a good idea what sort would you recommend? My horses grow a good winter coat and are outside 24/7 so I have no clue when it comes to sheets and blankets. I would think coming home at least they may be a little sweaty from the ride and I dont want them to get chilled.

Corporal 10-15-2012 04:36 PM

You should already own a blanket for him. I would think that his normal blanket would suffice for the ride home. May I suggest that you also plan for an hour to cool/dry him off before you drive home. if your trailer is open, like a stock trailer. We trailered horses in 1986 and 1987 in November to downtown Chicago, w/some other CW Reenactors, to ride in the McDonald's Christmas parade. They weren't sweaty when we trailered home, but I was using an open stock trailer, at the time, so it was breezy.
Just an FYI--some of the best deals on blankets are in April, at the end of the season. I bought one really nice blanket then, about 10 years ago, for $32.00 (+ S&H.)

BornToRun 10-15-2012 04:50 PM

If it gets really cold, I'm sure your horses will thank you for some wind protection. I would put layers on them instead of an insulated blanket. That way you can remove layers if they get warm.

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 10-15-2012 05:10 PM

well i have those fleece coolers for the horses and waterproof sheets but I dont have a real blanket per say. Can anyone recommend one for me please?

mls 10-15-2012 05:17 PM

Is the trailer open or enclosed?

If open I would say blanket. If enclosed, a cooler should work fine.

BornToRun 10-15-2012 05:19 PM

I only put my cooler and rain sheet on my gelding. He's a bit of a pudge and doesn't need the extra insulation, he's also a twenty four/ sevener outside. I only ever blanket him when he shivers or is wet. Ninety percent of the winter he's naked. I like to layer him up with his cooler and rain sheet, because if he gets too hot he could get sick, that way I can just remove the cooler.

Corporal 10-15-2012 05:20 PM

I think I'd be looking for something like this one.
Storm King Elite Full Hood
and couple it with a blanket like this one~
http://www.horseloverz.com/Stable/33...t-WLining.html
I KNOW that they don't match--you could shop online to find a match--BUT, if he's sweaty this will stop the chill in your trailer, and I prefer the cotton duck bc I KNOW that cotton breathes.

flyinghighleo 10-16-2012 10:53 PM

I love not to farm from you ! I always blanket on cold or rainy chilly days. helps the horses relax and enjoy the ride more.. :)