The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   ground manners (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/ground-manners-140608/)

iluvmyhorse 10-15-2012 05:09 PM

ground manners

my horse has no ground manners he will drag me into stalls and push me around. And when it comes time to bridle him he throws his head up so i cant put it on. help!

Saddlebag 10-16-2012 08:29 AM

For now, with the leading issue, get a lead with a chain on it and put it under his jaw. No need to yank on it. If he barges ahead, brace yourself and let him feel the bite of the chain. He'll turn around to face you. Try to maintain the spot you were standing in and make him come back to you, don't go to him and start again. Walk him around outside where it's safer for you. Carry a dressage whip. Pick a spot in the distance and focus on it and start walking. Try not to look at him. If he tries to crowd you don't be afraid to deliver a hard whack with the whip on his neck to move him off. Be sure to hold the lead about 3' from the clip or he will crowd you. As you walk, flap your elbow nearest him periodically as he doesn't want to get bumped and will travel straighter. Work on this until he will lead beside you like a gent.

Cherie 10-16-2012 11:12 PM

First of all, I need some answers from you:

How old are you?

How much experience do you have?

Is there someone more experienced with horses that can help you get started?

These are questions that need to be answered before I start telling you what to do. Any action you take needs skill and a proper sense of timing to be effective. There is not much of a way to fix these things by yourself without the skill that requires timing and feel.

tinyliny 10-16-2012 11:57 PM

Yes Ma'am! heads up and listen to Cherie. She'll get your number and whip you into shape.

*just kidding.*

Cherie 10-17-2012 07:22 AM

:shock: -- What?????

I'm really not THAT scary, AM I?????

Foxhunter 10-17-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1721815)
:shock: -- What?????

I'm really not THAT scary, AM I?????

You betcha! If you don't tow the line you get tied to a tree! :lol:

DancingArabian 10-17-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhunter (Post 1722369)
You betcha! If you don't tow the line you get tied to a tree! :lol:

50 Shades of Cherie: a guide to getting your horse in line

:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Foxhunter 10-17-2012 02:57 PM

No, Cherie only has two colours - black and white. No grey areas and that is how it should be with training anything whether horses, dogs or children.
Explain/teach what you want, and follow it through every time

DancingArabian 10-17-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhunter (Post 1722386)
No, Cherie only has two colours - black and white. No grey areas and that is how it should be with training anything whether horses, dogs or children.
Explain/teach what you want, and follow it through every time

You just wrote the intro!
Posted via Mobile Device

G8tdh0rse 10-17-2012 04:25 PM

Yes, your horse needs manners lessons. I prefer a stiff rope halter over a stud chain. It works on the whole face not just where the chain touches. I want my horse to walk beside me on a loose rein with no pull on the halter. If I stop, he stops. If I back, he backs and if I turn sharply he gets out of my way. Your horse can be that mindful and respectful too but it will take some work.